Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Would you be interested in attending a weeknight Jays Game?
Poll ended at Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:32 pm
Yes 68%  68%  [ 13 ]
No 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 19
 Post subject: Blue Jays Game?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:32 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi all,

Just wondering how many of you would be interested in going out to a Jays game at some point this summer as a group? It would likely be a weeknight game, and either in the 500 level seats or 100/200 level outfield. The tickets in the 500s and 200s would be $2 (yes, really!) and the 100s would be $9.

Please reply to the poll if you'd be interested...once I get a sense of numbers, I'll contact the Rogers Centre to order tix.

Last edited by Carrie on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:19 pm 

it would be great!
would they allow zoom lenses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:56 pm 

I have brought a zoom many times to the dome. There is a thread under the general section on shooting at the skydome.

Post subject: Zoom
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:25 pm 

How long a zoom would we need to get anything decent there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:00 pm 

I'd be very interested in going. I went last year with my 70-200mm but I was sitting near the centre field. The 200 just wasn't long enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:55 pm 

Didn't the Jays have a camera day a few weeks back, where you had access to the field before the game and were allowed to take pics of (and with) the players?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:08 pm 

tezster wrote:
Didn't the Jays have a camera day a few weeks back, where you had access to the field before the game and were allowed to take pics of (and with) the players?

Yes they did.

As well, at any jays game regardless of where your seats actually are, you are allowed to be in the lower bowl by the field boundaries up until 45 minutes before game time when the pre-game warm ups conclude to take pictures and attempt to obtain autographs.

I go to a lot of ball games, its good fun and for as little $9 to sit in the 500's or more if your fancy suits, you can have a good time with friends and get some action shots of the players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 pm 

Alright, well, there seems to be sufficient interest already, so I'll look into it.

For those of you who attend Jay's games regularly, which area is the best of the cheap seats? I've only been in a luxury box for games, so I have no clue. (and no, not saying that in a la-di-da kinda way...it's the only way I've ever been convinced to go, as I'm not a baseball fan).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:48 pm 

Carrie wrote:
Alright, well, there seems to be sufficient interest already, so I'll look into it.

For those of you who attend Jay's games regularly, which area is the best of the cheap seats? I've only been in a luxury box for games, so I have no clue. (and no, not saying that in a la-di-da kinda way...it's the only way I've ever been convinced to go, as I'm not a baseball fan).

Best $9 seats are any low down in the 500 level around 1st or 3rd base, because then there is no screen or support wires for those with long lenses and i find they feel a bit less steep than being higher up or behind the plate

If the group wants to spend a bit more, i'd reccomend the field level baselines which are in the outfield corners ($28 regular, not sure on the group rate). The view from down there is great and you can get good shots of the pitcher and the batters from down the lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:59 pm 

If we could be close enough to make a 200mm an effective length for capturing some action I'd be up for it.

It would sure make a change from cricket!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:45 pm 

i rented 18-200 VR once and it wasnt enough to shoot what your really want, I would bring something around 300mm range and fast lens (5.6 just not good enough :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:19 pm 

tezster wrote:

I've ben looking forward to one of these....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:51 am 

I wouldn't mind paying a little more to be a little closer if it's cool with everyone else.

I don't suppose we could make games where Halladay is pitching as a first choice? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:56 am 

tezster wrote:
I wouldn't mind paying a little more to be a little closer if it's cool with everyone else.

I don't suppose we could make games where Halladay is pitching as a first choice? :P

Doc Pitching is always a good thing!!!

I am sitting in Row 8 down the 3rd base line tonight (close to the corner), i'll post a couple of pictures from different spots in the stadium (500 level behind plate and base line, 100 level corner and behind plate, 200 level baseline and outfield) for everyone's reference late tonight so those who have not been to the dome have a feel for the different views/prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:16 pm 

Is there a way to find out weeks in advance who's pitching?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:45 pm 

Carrie wrote:
Is there a way to find out weeks in advance who's pitching?

Not really, a well educated person can guestimate, the problem being injuries in the rotation and off-days causing skipped starts, plus with the all-star break in two weeks, if Halladay does not go to the all-star game, that will mess with the rotation as well.

If the Jays rotation was injury free then yes, you could probably make a more accurate guess, as it is, anything beyond the next 5 or 6 games is tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:12 pm 

Erm. Okay. Well, I'm "well educated", but not when it comes to baseball stuff...unless you count the Atlanta Braves from back in 1991-1993, then I could tell you every stupid thing you'd want to know about them (blame it on David Justice being hot). Hmm, where was I? Right...pitching rotation. Someone will have to make a "well educated guess" as to which game this might be in the next month or so.

I was thinking about doing this more to have fun, be social, have some bevvies and hope that the roof is open than to pay close attention to the game. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:24 pm 

Carrie wrote:
Erm. Okay. Well, I'm "well educated", but not when it comes to baseball stuff...unless you count the Atlanta Braves from back in 1991-1993, then I could tell you every stupid thing you'd want to know about them (blame it on David Justice being hot). Hmm, where was I? Right...pitching rotation. Someone will have to make a "well educated guess" as to which game this might be in the next month or so.

I was thinking about doing this more to have fun, be social, have some bevvies and hope that the roof is open than to pay close attention to the game. ;)

David Justice...Derek Jeter...am i detecting a trend in your Baseball Interests Carrie?? :P

If we wanted to go mid-week, the only option in July is Texas on the 17th-19th, all the weekend games are "premium" where they bump the prices, but the Yankees and Jeter (and the Yankees Fans) are in on the 20th-23rd of July.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:45 pm 

I think as spectators, we will never get the typical Sports Illustrated or newpaper sports section shots from most seats, even with long zooms. I go to alot of games (I have an $81 pass that allows me a 500 level seat to all games), and I try to be creative when I shoot. I often go early to see batting practice and warmups. I plan to bring my camera to most games and will continue to post them on my Flickr page; see the Baseball 2006 set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:23 pm 

Well, as promised, views from around the dome (with seating pricing)

100 Level, Behind Home Plate - No group rate, $60
222mm zoom (35mm equiv)

100 Level, 3rd Base - Field Level Bases - $35.10 Group
432mm zoom (35mm equiv)

100 Level 3rd Base - Field Level Baseline - 25.20 Group
432mm zoom (35mm equiv)

200 Level Outfield - $18.90 Group (100 Level outfield view is similar, just a bit flatter, 20.70 Group)
432mm zoom (35mm equiv)

200 Level - 3rd base Club - $35.10 Group
432mm zoom (35mm equiv)

500 Level - $8.10 Group

Behind Home Plate
432mm zoom (35mm equiv)

1st Base
432mm zoom (35mm equiv)

Hope that helps those who haven't been down to the dome a lot for baseball understand the seating options a bit better.

PS - For those looking closely, the first picture actually features two current Blue Jays, Vernon Wells and BJ Ryan, pitching for the Baltimore Orioles in late 2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:46 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
ooh - brave man - posting Blue Jays photos on the web without permission is a big no-no.... I used to work for the SkyDome, and I'd highly recommend 100 level seats - worth spending the $$ for the view. I wonder if I could get in with my 300mm f/2.8??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:00 am 

They let cameras in, so they have to expect that photos will show up online! This is the digital age!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:21 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamkevin/
There is no problem bringing in a camera and big lens. I brought my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS to a recent game, sat Level 100 first few rows. Not the first time I have brought the 70-200 lens either. Never had a problem.

I do recommend long and fast lenses, particularly if the dome is closed or you are relying on artificial lighting. I used my 70-200 almost exclusively at the 200mm end.

200mm (320mm equivalent), f/2.8, ISO400, 1/200s

200mm (320mm equivalent), f/2.8, ISO400, 1/200s

As you can see shutter speeds were marginally fast enough under artificial lighting. Ideally I should have boosted to ISO800 to get 1/400s. I was hesitant in using a teleconverter as lighting was already as poor as it was.

If the dome is open and it's sunny, I think anything will work. This photo gives you some perspective as to how much reach you'll need to get a good crop. This is from the back of Level 100 at 94mm. The players are too tiny to get any decent shots, so I shot the crowd instead.

94mm (150mm equivalent), f/5.6, ISO200, 1/1000s