Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:07 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
A camera salesman.

In the 30+ years that I've been purchasing camera equipment, the camera salesman is about the last person that I would want to meet. I'm glad I can get what I want on the internet most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Having previously worked in a camera store for almost 2 years, I can say that it is the shittiest job I have ever done. 90% of customers aren't actually customers (not looking to buy anything or have no idea why they are even in a camera store), the "professional" photographers you meet are usually insane, and the actual pros are the best though. In, grab gear, buy, out. Basically the same thing as buying it online. Students know nothing 9 out of 10 times so they love to waste time.

If you want to talk photography and gear come to a place like this and don't go to a camera store because the employees all hate their lives and don't want to talk to you.

So glad to not work in that environment anymore. In short I completely agree with your statement and just wanted to chime in from the other side.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:33 am 
TPMG ADDICT

People go to specialty stores, to try and get information from people with specialty knowledge. If staff aren't willing to provide that sort of information they then lose sales to the internet, where the same people can get a product for frequently far less while also getting no information about it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14195211@N07/
People go to stores to look and touch products that they'll be buying on the internet. That is a huge waste of the staffs' time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:04 am 

the weekly sales quota that the sales have to meet adds more pressure to the job. last I heard was 3k or 30k weekly. Cant remember the exact number now.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
I was just about to put down a few thousand dollars on a new camera and gear when the salesman quibbed you can look up the price on the internet. No show, no tell, no price, no sale. What exactly do they do there?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:50 pm 

30k weekly is a bit high. maybe more like 20-25k

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm 

And yes most salespeople are terrible. Like I said it isn't those who are actually decent customers that makes them terrible. It is the other 99% of "customers" that make them hate it, and its a high theft industry, people run out of stores with equipment all the time. Happened a few times at my store. That being said if they don't hand you the camera for any reason then just move on to any of the other employees. if they won't either then don't shop there. simple as that. I have been in a few stores like that (even some of the chain-store's locations) and just said **** it. found the one person who would talk to me and then stuck with them every time from then on. he has gotten 60K of my business over the past few years.