Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:48 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
If I remember correctly, our own Eric works at Aden

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
PotatoEYE wrote:
B&h is having rebates on them now

Yeah, wondering if they're Canon rebates or just available through B&H.

MikeES wrote:
PS...Aden has it fo $3,082+tax as compared to $3,299.99 at Henrys ;-)

Saw that. Same price as Merkle. Henry's price matches. Not that I'm partial to any of the retailers.

I find it curious Henry's doesn't have stock in any stores. Makes me think they may actually do something useful at the Exposure show... that I can't attend.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Mike, CanonRumors got the lens you want :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Peta Pixel Reviews the 200-400

Quote:
To be completely honest, I couldn’t wait to return the lens on the first day that I brought it out. The Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x is a lens that should come with a mule as an accessory (although, the weight is quite manageable if you are not moving it around too much).

However, that evening as I reviewed my photos on the computer, every ounce of misgiving evaporated as I reviewed the images. Crisp, tack sharp and contrasty, the photos are what I would never have expected from a super telephoto zoom with an extender.

The pricing of the lens mirrors its super telephoto focal length — it’s a long stretch! But once you have experienced the versatility of a seamless 200-560mm focal range and the high quality images from the lens, you will understand why Canon priced the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens at exactly what it is worth.

Edit: As a slight tangent I am sooo tired of hearing people complain about the weight of things. Grow a muscle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:45 am 
TPMG Administrator

So there's now a 70D. It has good live view AF apparently. Waiting to see image samples from this fancy new sensor before it's an interesting camera to me. Good to see Canon finally doing some innovating again. So goes the ebb and flow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:43 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

ions wrote:
So there's now a 70D. It has good live view AF apparently. Waiting to see image samples from this fancy new sensor before it's an interesting camera to me. Good to see Canon finally doing some innovating again. So goes the ebb and flow.

don't forget the 7D's 19 point AF system

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am 
TPMG Administrator

Forget it? The 70D is using a 5 year old AF system. K, remembered. Good thing it's a very good AF system.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:21 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

ions wrote:
Forget it? The 70D is using a 5 year old AF system. K, remembered. Good thing it's a very good AF system.

ok, mr 5d mk3 :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:03 pm 
TPMG Administrator

The 5DIII is a marginal upgrade over the 7D. Why do you think I endlessly bitched about the price? I paid $3k to have a camera that would work in low light/high ISO with the system of lenses I already have so that I could take pics of my kid in a dark townhouse. It is doing that very well and is taking pics that mean a lot to me so it's worth it in that way. But, anything other than the ISO sensitivity the 5DIII is a marginal improvement over the 7D in things that really didn't need improving for my set of needs. The Canon 5DIII is overpriced on its own - compared to the 7D, a five year old camera, it's ridiculous. But idiots like me keep buying them and they're selling well so I must be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:43 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

ions wrote:
The 5DIII is a marginal upgrade over the 7D. Why do you think I endlessly bitched about the price? I paid $3k to have a camera that would work in low light/high ISO with the system of lenses I already have so that I could take pics of my kid in a dark townhouse. It is doing that very well and is taking pics that mean a lot to me so it's worth it in that way. But, anything other than the ISO sensitivity the 5DIII is a marginal improvement over the 7D in things that really didn't need improving for my set of needs. The Canon 5DIII is overpriced on its own - compared to the 7D, a five year old camera, it's ridiculous. But idiots like me keep buying them and they're selling well so I must be wrong.

:twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fizbot/
Well, everyone uses their cameras for different things...
The compelling reason why I made the plunge for the 5D3 was for the autofocus system:
Quote:
5D mk3:
51 Point High Density Reticular AF
The newly designed 61-point autofocus interface helps to ensure critical focus no matter how complex or difficult the situation is. Featuring up to 41 cross-type AF points (with f/4 lens support) and 5 dual diagonal AF points (with f/2.8 sensitivity); this AF system is highly accurate and extremely low-light sensitive.

The dedicated AF menu tab permits quick and easy access, eliminating the need to navigate through settings menus in order to modify your AF settings. Autofocus point selection is broken up into 6 different methods-Spot, Single Point, Single + 4 Adjacent Points, Single + 8 Adjacent Points, Zone Selection, and Automatic AF Point Selection-as well as a dedicated AF configuration tool for control of AI Servo AF III tracking parameters.

Which leaves the 7D (and since the 70D's auto focus system seems identical to the 7D system), in the dust when it comes to tracking moving objects.

Quote:
70D:
19-Point All Cross-Type AF System
When shooting with the optical viewfinder, a 19-point all cross-type autofocus system is used to provide a wide range of focusing coverage for acquiring focus accurately and quickly. The center point of this cluster is a high-precision dual cross-type sensor that supports focusing with f/2.8 and faster lenses in order to benefit focusing in low-light conditions. These focus points are configurable and allow homing in on specific elements within the frame to focus on, or, alternatively, all can be used to provide coverage across the frame.

Well worth the price premium for me - but that's since nothing else is available. :-(
If you don't need that feature though, the 70D seems to be a good upgrade (as almost all new technologies are), and seems to have surpassed the 7D in just about all other areas.

I really like the wifi integration though! can't wait until it's available on the Pro bodies too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:36 pm 
TPMG Administrator

fizbot wrote:
Which leaves the 7D (and since the 70D's auto focus system seems identical to the 7D system), in the dust when it comes to tracking moving objects.

After shooting F1, a seven month old, a kid just shy of two, a 9 week old wolf pup and a fast moving fox I can definitively state that the 5D3 is not a $2k upgrade in AF accuracy over the 7D. No dust experienced. Except in lower light and only then. Again, marginal improvement after the negative of having the smaller focus point field when comparing FF and crop. Don't misunderstand, I think the 5D3 is the best all round DSLR available right now but that doesn't mean I can't also think it's overpriced. I think it speaks volumes about how good the 7D is. Still is. After all, we're still comparing to it aren't we?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

B&H has some deals on Eos M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:58 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Who knows what Canon has planned.

Edit: linked rumours already allegedly debunked.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:46 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

1Dx firmware 2.0 released

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:14 pm 
TPMG Administrator

PotatoEYE wrote:

Some nice Auto ISO features I'd love to see trickle down to the 5D3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:22 pm 
TPMG Administrator

ions wrote:
fizbot wrote:

After shooting F1, a seven month old, a kid just shy of two, a 9 week old wolf pup and a fast moving fox I can definitively state that the 5D3 is not a $2k upgrade in AF accuracy over the 7D. No dust experienced. Except in lower light and only then. Again, marginal improvement after the negative of having the smaller focus point field when comparing FF and crop. Don't misunderstand, I think the 5D3 is the best all round DSLR available right now but that doesn't mean I can't also think it's overpriced. I think it speaks volumes about how good the 7D is. Still is. After all, we're still comparing to it aren't we?

Just to kick a dead horse a couple times-recently I went through roughly 1000 images of a motorcycle track day shot with the 7D and roughly 1000 images of a kart race shot with the 5D3. Both shot in bright sunny summer conditions though roughly a year apart. There was no real difference in hit rates between the two cameras in those conditions. Again, this is not a criticism of the 5D3 AF system.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:01 am 
TPMG Administrator

Canon Shutter Count App for the Mac

Quote:
ShutterCount displays the number of shutter actuations (the shutter count) of your Canon EOS digital camera. The shutter count is read directly from a USB-connected camera, and thus provides accurate numbers that are not attainable with simple EXIF-based methods.

With ShutterCount you can easily check whether a newly purchased camera is really new, or check how heavily used a pre-owned item is. And you can save a trip to a Canon Service Center by doing the reading for yourself.

The app provides unlimited readings for an unlimited number of cameras, so you can freely track actual camera usage. Even if you work for a rental house or just lend a camera to a friend.

ShutterCount only displays the shutter count for still photos - video clips recorded are not included in the number. For a separate mirror movement reading (that includes videos) you should consult an authorized Canon Service Center.

Note: for the best compatibility with your camera it is recommended to upgrade the camera's firmware to the latest available version.

WiFi on the EOS 6D and 70D must be turned off as it blocks the USB port when turned on!

Supported cameras:

Canon EOS-1D X
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Canon EOS 6D
Canon EOS 7D
Canon EOS 60D
Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 100D / Rebel SL1
Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i / Kiss X5
Canon EOS 650D / Rebel T4i / Kiss X6i
Canon EOS 700D / Rebel T5i
Canon EOS 1100D / Rebel T3 / Kiss X50
Please quit all applications that might connect to your camera (e.g. Canon EOS Utility, Capture One, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom) before launching ShutterCount.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:34 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

New 5D mk3 firmware from Canon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:00 am 
TPMG Administrator

Scott Kelby explains why he switched to Canon.

Short version: ergonomics, speed, high ISO and "feel."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:58 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Smells like GAS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:08 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/26908528@N04/
ions wrote:

aka Canon gave him stuff for free...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:52 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 9 times
MikeES wrote:
ions wrote:

aka Canon gave him stuff for free...

Yeah, if Canon handed me a 1Dx and a 5D Mk III (AND I assume those bodies came with lenses) AND Canon started paying me as a major sponsor of my work I would switch.

DG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:44 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Could be, but I'm not sure I buy that. Kelby press makes over $20 million a year and between other sponsorships/connections I'm sure he could source just about whatever gear he wants cheaply/free. I really doubt he's switching for free gear. Yeah, we would, but we're not in his position. I'm sure Canon sponsoring his network is a six figure deal too. Is it true Canon would make that deal while he still shot Nikon? Dunno. Seems to me money is too easy of an answer. Occam's razor I spose....

I stayed away from Kelby's training material because I found him Nikoncentric, he is so much so that it created a market for Syl Arena to be Canoncentric and get away with it. I'll take another look at Kelby's training materials if he's going to be more neutral or Canon focused cause that works for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:37 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Wow, look how lively the forum became suddenly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:01 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/26908528@N04/
ions wrote:
Could be, but I'm not sure I buy that. Kelby press makes over $20 million a year and between other sponsorships/connections I'm sure he could source just about whatever gear he wants cheaply/free. I really doubt he's switching for free gear. Yeah, we would, but we're not in his position. I'm sure Canon sponsoring his network is a six figure deal too. Is it true Canon would make that deal while he still shot Nikon? Dunno. Seems to me money is too easy of an answer. Occam's razor I spose....

I stayed away from Kelby's training material because I found him Nikoncentric, he is so much so that it created a market for Syl Arena to be Canoncentric and get away with it. I'll take another look at Kelby's training materials if he's going to be more neutral or Canon focused cause that works for me.

I find it crazy whenever someone who has been a long time brand user switches, just because of the ergonomics and menu systems...that alone keeps me Canon.
...that and the dream of one day holding a 200-400 in front of a wild leopard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm 
TPMG Administrator

To be fair Kelby said he finds the 1DX faster at reviewing pics and that helps him get shots from the field, literally, to SI. Having not used a D4 I can't say it's faster or slower than the 1DX, but, if true, I think that is a valid reason for someone in his position. Highly competitive and whoever can get their images faster wins with that kind of stuff. He said he's missing out on less because of this and he said he's getting shots he would have previously missed due to the AF. And that, to me, is the only reason to switch, your gear is causing you to miss a shot. Kinda hard to imagine a D4 is particularly limiting but... ok. Anyway, for the vast majority of "hoppers" I find it hard to believe there's a shot they truly can't get with their existing camera. Just about any DSLR from any of the major brands from the last few years is more than capable. My upgrade to a 5D3 was solely for better high ISO to take pics of the kid in a dimly lit house that could be printed at a decent size. Otherwise there isn't a single limiting factor with the 7D that prevented me from getting a shot that the 5D3 can get.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:37 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

People mostly confuse the lack of knowledge and the gear limits these days :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:48 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 1 time
Soooo, anyone going to jump on the rumored 5D MKIV? :)

http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-5d-mark-iv/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:21 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 6 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/enian82
I personally think its way too early for the MK IV ......
But these are the timelines for the past announcements.

5D August 2005
5D II September 2008
5D III March 2012

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next