Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:33 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Needed to get a Y38 to declare my camera items so I do not get dinged with paying duty when coming back.

I searched everywhere for the hours of operation of the CBSA - no where to be found.

I found the office numbers of the CBSA on the http://www.torontopearson.com website:

Terminal 1: (905) 676-3640
Terminal 3: (905) 612-5416

I called and an agent is on duty from 6:30 am to 11 pm

I hope this helps anyone else out looking for this info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:32 pm 

When I leaved Canada for a vacation abroad I asked and they (the customs officer) gave me a form to fill which hey signed. I still keep that form and it's good for as long as is readable.

It's easier to get that form (actually it's more like a card) at the US border than an international airport.

Now I keep that card in my camera bag whenever I cross the border. No hassle whatsoever so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:10 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

In the past I've always done it at 1 Front St. W...full contact info at:
http://www.toronto.net/directory/BDJ0.html

A lot of people say it's unnecessary now, but whenever I've travelled I've always gotten extra scrutinization, so the card always saved me!

BTW you need to bring the equipment you intend to have added to the card with you...a list won't do it (but I've always brought a list as well since the numbers on the equipment are so hard to read)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:23 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/m2c_photography/
Perhaps I'm lazy but I just do it at the airport with customs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:30 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Magic wrote:
Perhaps I'm lazy but I just do it at the airport with customs.

The office I mentioned on Front Street is ALSO Customs.

Personally though I prefer to do it when there isn't a tight schedule and no pressure of a missed flight; if there's a long lineup at the airport office you may end up leaving without having it done or else risk missing your flight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:08 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/m2c_photography/
True, but I have never had to wait in line for the airports customs officer. Ever.

I guess I may be airport lucky. Just sharing my experience. It may not be for everyone. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:26 am 

I brought all my stuff last Friday to the only 7x24 GTA location, tucked in behind Pearson Airport:

2720 Brtittania East
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/list ... 810-e.html

It was not on the GPS but you drive north on Dixie, hang a right on Brittania and keep driving for a few Km's or so.

I brought everything I could think of even though I do not intend to bring it all for my upcoming trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
Umm...would I have to worry about this if I had one body and two lenses of which one of them is already attached? I only carry it in a small bag like the Lowepro Slingshot 202.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:50 pm 

I have crossed the US/Canada border a few times in the last year and never been hassled but it could alwasy happen. They told me if something looks potentially new then it might be considered suspect.

It does not cost anything except so of your time to complete the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 am 

I was told by the CBSA agent that the declaration card was not definitive proof that the camera originated from Canada and I would be still subject to scrutiny and could still be made to pay import duties/taxes. They recommended keeping a photocopy of the sales receipt with me at all times. Which for a bag full of lenses and bodies of which many were purchased used seemed rather difficult.

That said, I've never actually been asked for proof that my camera was from home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:29 pm 

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lyta1138/
You should still be able to get your money back, even if you have to produce the receipt after you get home. I did that once and got my money back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:17 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

tsangc wrote:
I was told by the CBSA agent that the declaration card was not definitive proof that the camera originated from Canada and I would be still subject to scrutiny and could still be made to pay import duties/taxes.

The deceleration card tells Customs that you owned the equipment BEFORE you left Canada, and that a Customs Officer has seen it on the date that is written on the card. There should be NO question of that!

Now it's true it doesn't say the camera was originally bought in Canada...back when I travelled to Germany with my German bought made in Germany cameras, the Customs people never questioned me once they saw my camera was registered in Canada before I left the country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:16 pm 

Quote:
Now it's true it doesn't say the camera was originally bought in Canada

That's the part that's troubling--the green card doesn't state you paid your taxes on it. So they're at will to charge you duties/taxes as if you bought it say in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:08 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

tsangc wrote:
That's the part that's troubling--the green card doesn't state you paid your taxes on it. So they're at will to charge you duties/taxes as if you bought it say in the US.

They won't, and they can't. What if you bought it before there were sales taxes in Canada? What if you bought it used w/o a receipt (like at the show this weekend)?

All Customs care about whether you owned it before leaving the country. If you owned it before leaving the country, then there is NO WAY you bought it on this trip while out of the country (you may have bought it from outside Canada prior to this trip, but they have to assume the proper taxes were paid).

Anyway this is all a moot point as Customs (based on what people who travelled recently have written on this site) have been less worried about checking green cards and equipment. Of course that's not saying you shouldn't get a green card, because there will always be that one person who is having a bad day who will insist on checking every serial number on every item.

These days Customs are more worried about you importing people into Canada! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 pm 

Quote:
They won't, and they can't. What if you bought it before there were sales taxes in Canada? What if you bought it used w/o a receipt (like at the show this weekend)?

All Customs care about whether you owned it before leaving the country. If you owned it before leaving the country, then there is NO WAY you bought it on this trip while out of the country (you may have bought it from outside Canada prior to this trip, but they have to assume the proper taxes were paid).

Customs cares if you paid taxes and duties on it. So for example, as you say, if I bought elsewhere, smuggled it into Canada without paying taxes or duties, then got the card in Canada, I'm still on the hook for paying taxes on it.

It is your responsibility to make sure you demonstrate that. When you sign the Y38 form, you declare you've paid the taxes on it. They can challenge that at any point. Hence, the comment from the agent that we should have receipts available.

Quote:
Anyway this is all a moot point as Customs (based on what people who travelled recently have written on this site) have been less worried about checking green cards and equipment. Of course that's not saying you shouldn't get a green card, because there will always be that one person who is having a bad day who will insist on checking every serial number on every item.

I would agree, it is cheap insurance of that kind of bad day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:29 pm 

Umm...what if you have someone buy the item for you and have them read/email to you the serial number and the details of the product to be put on the card so that when you come over and pick it up, you can bring it back in? Will customs require that you bring every single piece physically to be recorded on the card?

I know...bad bad bad!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:58 pm 

Quote:
Umm...what if you have someone buy the item for you and have them read/email to you the serial number and the details of the product to be put on the card so that when you come over and pick it up, you can bring it back in? Will customs require that you bring every single piece physically to be recorded on the card?

You have to bring everything physically in, they will open it up and record the serial numbers onto the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:00 pm 

tsangc wrote:
Quote:

You have to bring everything physically in, they will open it up and record the serial numbers onto the card.

Ahh I see. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:29 pm 

i was at the CBSA office at Brittania Rd today coz i was on training in the same building. the officer told me that as long as everything you're bringing in and out is itemized on the list that you had it before you left Canada then no one can hassle you at the border becuase there will be a custom officer signing the card for you as proof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:10 pm 

You can fill out a form at the airport.
IMHO, this is a total waste of time. I travel 10+ times per year and never had any issues. Nobody ever cared if I had that card.
The only reason you may raise their interest if you tell them you buy/sell used camera equipment....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 pm 

I got hassled once over a portable CD player in my car. I did not have the receipt or the Y38 card so trying to prove I did not just purchase it in the US I stupidly said look I also have a bunch of CDs too. The agent asked if I had a receipt for those. On closer inspection he could see that none of it was in like-new condition and let me through.

Lesson learned though, when I get new stuff I go down to the Front St office and get the green card. Cheap (actually free) insurance against a possible bad day.

If you do go in to get the Y38 with a lot of stuff it really speeds things up to have an itemized list with serial numbers, so the agent does not have to peer at the serial # on each item.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:05 pm 

DmitriM wrote:
You can fill out a form at the airport.
IMHO, this is a total waste of time. I travel 10+ times per year and never had any issues. Nobody ever cared if I had that card.
The only reason you may raise their interest if you tell them you buy/sell used camera equipment....:)

it's only gonna take one time for you to get hassled and then you'll change your mind about the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:19 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Do what i do..
Travel with old gear and only go to Third World places like Mali, Bolivia or Yemen :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 pm 

philmar wrote:
Do what i do..
Travel with old gear and only go to Third World places like Mali, Bolivia or Yemen :lol:

i can only wish i do what you do.. travel the world and get paid. hehe.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:16 am 

Flickr: sfgsfdf
BTW you need to bring the equipment you intend to have added to the card with you...a list won't do it (but I've always brought a list as well since the numbers on the equipment are so hard to read)?