Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:39 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
starting 2012 i want to do wedding photography ( this year is too soon i dont want to blow someones wedding photos because i think im good ) what i need is someone who can guide me show me how, and explain what to do and what not to do. maybe one of you need an assistant for this year or maybe u know some wedding workshops. plus i would like to give a try in studio ( basics, lighting etc ) so any help is welcome. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:55 am 

Pikto runs workshops on wedding photography. Check it out on their workshops page:

http://www.pikto.ca/workshops/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:51 am 

post this kind of request in the Mentor section: http://tpmg.ca/forum/viewforum.php?f=23

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:47 pm 

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:26 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

First, can you change the subject to something more verbose...I keep clicking on "Need Help" because I've forgotten what the thread is about.

Second, for wedding photography you really have to know your equipment and how to use it as many churches are tough to shoot in with dark-stained woods (not to mention you have to have backups for every piece of equipment in case something fails during the ceremony so you're not stuck standing there with a dead camera).

There was a video online of one of those TV court programs where a wedding photographer was taken to "court" because the pictures they took were mediocre because they only depended on the automatic settings of the camera, and didn't know the first thing about shutter speeds or apertures (the Judge knew more about photography than the "pro" photographer)...but the video was deleted. This is not to discourage you, but to educate that you have to know what you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm 

i know my camera ( D3oo ) i know about shutter, exposure, white balans Iso and more. im not some another kid with camera who thinks wedding photography is so cool and u can make money on that so i go with it. The worst thing u can do for young couple is f... theirs wedding memories. i want to be sure im ready thats why i want to prepare myself as best is possible. i wont take any wedding until my work will be way more then satisfaing.

Post subject: a suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm 

giero wrote:
i know my camera ( D3oo ) i know about shutter, exposure, white balans Iso and more. im not some another kid with camera who thinks wedding photography is so cool and u can make money on that so i go with it. The worst thing u can do for young couple is f... theirs wedding memories. i want to be sure im ready thats why i want to prepare myself as best is possible. i wont take any wedding until my work will be way more then satisfaing.

Try doing some portrait work just so you can understand how posing and lighting will work in a non-stress situation. I'm sure that you can ask people that you know to sit for you.

I would also suggest that you volunteer to shoot an event so that you get comfortable with speaking to strangers and being comfortable among a lot of people. There is a certain comfort level that one has to develop so that you know how to interrupt a conversation or approach a group of people in order to take their picture. When I first started, I found that I walked around the venue for quite a while to figure out the vibe. Then it took some time to go up to people and put them at ease (as much as myself). You want to look confident as well as non-threatening.

Good luck. Hope that you find the right mix of education and experience to help you pursue this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 pm 

thx. i dont think im shy guy but not wide open as well. i dont have much problems with talking to people but what i see is lack of time during the week. night sessions are not good idea. i started with shooting everything then was landscapes, cityscapes ect. all that becouse i was looking for myself as an photographer. now i know that people gives me the most fun in photography thats why i want do weddings, studio and portraits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 pm 

thx. i dont think im shy guy but not wide open as well. i dont have much problems with talking to people but what i see is lack of time during the week. night sessions are not good idea. i started with shooting everything then was landscapes, cityscapes ect. all that becouse i was looking for myself as an photographer. now i know that people gives me the most fun in photography thats why i want do weddings, studio and portraits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 am 

Wedding photography is 50% artistic skills, 50% technical skills, and 50% interpersonal skills.

Math skills not so much.

I worked with photographers of all sorts last year and found most of the higher end ones just have awesome personalities and just simply "fun" and warm people to be around with. That alone commands higher end prices.

Being good looking and well dressed helps too.

Better question is why do you want to go into wedding photography?

I completed 30 weddings last year and i still ask myself.....and good food is one of the reasons. mmm.....wedding food.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:50 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

bhrm wrote:
wedding food.....

this caught my attention....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:29 pm 

StE823 wrote:
bhrm wrote:
wedding food.....

this caught my attention....

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm 

i want to go in this direction because i love to photograph people. any situation - street, church, home or in work. doesnt matter where and for who. all i want is have camera in my hand and people around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:38 pm 

giero wrote:
i want to go in this direction because i love to photograph people. any situation - street, church, home or in work. doesnt matter where and for who. all i want is have camera in my hand and people around.

so you're not doing it for the food?

i do it for the food, the higher end the wedding is, the better the food!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:38 pm 

giero wrote:

so you're not doing it for the food?

i do it for the food, the higher end the wedding is, the better the food!