Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:06 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 0 time
I walked over to Yonge-Eglinton back on Thursday August 26, and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, because this was the sight I saw:

I thought I had gone back in time:

For those new to the city, our police cars used to be yellow rather than the white we have now (which you can see in the background of the above photo). They got rid of the yellow paint because of the lead content required to make it.

Actually, this was the police reaching out to the community and letting them know of a service where you can receive automatic calls to let you know what's going on in your community safety wise:

BTW, I'm not looking for comments as I took those with a P&S I was unfamiliar with (I'm used to SLRs where I control everything myself). I just wanted to share the feeling I had seeing the type of police car I grew up with, and bring back some memories.

As for the car, it's an early 80's (1982?) Plymouth Gran Fury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 9 times
Oh yeah, the yellow cars. I remember them. I wonder if we will ever see a return to a yellow car (lead free) in Toronto in the same way that the OPP went back to the Panda cars?

Also, speaking of the past, notice that it says Metro Police on the fender and the old Metropolitan Toronto logo is on the rear fender. Back then they were the Metropolitan Toronto Police, not the Toronto Police.

And notice the blue shirt instead of black. And ball caps were not part of the uniform, they were worn as a job action by the police union members.

DG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:54 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 0 time
This was a pretty casual event (in terms of the ball caps). They wanted to make a connection with members of the community. They also had officers on the east side of Yonge to catch the people walking on that side.