Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:18 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi all,

I did a search but didn't find any recent discussions on this topic. I have some dust finally showing up in photos from my Canon bodies (both FF). I'm wondering what you've used with success (and maybe what to avoid). I have seen the demos on Youtube, and from that Dust-Aid looks pretty good.

However, I haven't found any Canadian vendors selling anything, and I want to clean my 5D today since there are is a couple of big ones showing up now (I have tried the rocket blower with no success). I was thinking of picking up Visible Dust orange swabs and solution from Vistek this afternoon or tomorrow.

Any and all feedback will be appreciated :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:34 pm 
Those will work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:02 pm 

Thanks Tanner.

Ok, for those of you who are afraid to clean the sensor (as I was), it is a pretty simple, painless and effective process. Well, not exactly painless ... the cost of those swabs are a bit excessive.

8mm of VisibleDust liquid - $24.99
12 orange swab sticks - $49.00

I used 3 drops on one swab stick ... and took a before and after picture. Works great, but I think I there is still one more particle on it. Photos were taken 3 minutes apart (before & after) with 5D at F/22. Left shot is before shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:52 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 1 time
I hate it that they rape you on the price of the swabs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:10 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://goo.gl/cahhK
I've been using the copperhill method for years. No complaints here. The Dustaid method looks interesting though but no experience with them.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.p ... l_Products

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:05 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

I've used the Eclipse fluid before but never the pec pads. I'll have to give that a try next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:25 pm 

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tauro220
+1 on the copperfield method. First time I bought the cheapest sensor swabs I could find from Henrys and some pec pads too. This way I had the fluid and next time I just used the pec pads.

Walmart (of all places) also sells Zeiss lens cloths. They come in a box with of 50 for less than $5.

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=74

I use these on my lenses. Yes I know what you are thinking but it does have the zeiss logo and they state they are safe for lenses.

I am pretty sure you could use these as well. Nearest I can tell they are just isopropyl alcohol in a wet nap form. TOP marks on my lenses though.

Important!!!!!!

If there is a piece of grit like sand glued to your sensor. PLEASE for your sake do not try to scrape it off. You may Damage the sensor. Then you got problems. EASY DOES IT. If you are nervous. Let Canon or Nikon or whoever do it. But it is easy to do.

If you Damage your sensor do not come back to me and blame me. You take all responsibility.

This is the copper hill method....

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:59 pm 

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jennyskim/
I usually bring my Canon to customer service in Mississauga.(Dixie Rd.&Hwy 401) for safe and success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:13 pm 

JENNYSKIM wrote:
I usually bring my Canon to customer service in Mississauga.(Dixie Rd.&Hwy 401) for safe and success.

Is it still $40?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:37 pm 

13inches wrote:
JENNYSKIM wrote:

Is it still $40?

Yep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:42 am 

I don't think anyone should use Eclipse fluid on a 5D due to a different coating used. Should use E2 or other 5d compatible fluids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 am 

Copper hill method has worked on all my cameras from my original 10D to my current 1d III and 50D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:27 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

if i start to notice black specks on my picture, would it be a good idea to try to use a blower on the bare sensor? Or would I be introducing more dust onto the sensor?

And how do you hold the sensor exposed? The only way I know how to access the bare sensor is to hold the shutter open on B mode; but that means I'd have to hold the shutter button - not too practical.

Using a 40D...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am 

mike wrote:
if i start to notice black specks on my picture, would it be a good idea to try to use a blower on the bare sensor? Or would I be introducing more dust onto the sensor?

And how do you hold the sensor exposed? The only way I know how to access the bare sensor is to hold the shutter open on B mode; but that means I'd have to hold the shutter button - not too practical.

Using a 40D...

There's a sesor cleaning mode in the menus. RTFM!

And yes, always try a blower first before doing a wet clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

mm, yeah, I know it's in there somewhere, but which is easier, typing a call for help here or searching for that lost manual somewhere in the house... :P

Found it, thanks. For 40D users, it's the second yellow tab -> sensor cleaning-> clean manually.

Will try out blower...

13inches wrote:
mike wrote:

Using a 40D...

There's a sesor cleaning mode in the menus. RTFM!

And yes, always try a blower first before doing a wet clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:49 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 19 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrix_feet/
mike wrote:

Using a 40D...

There should be a menu item for sensor cleaning it's function is to hold the mirror up until the power is turned off or the battery goes dead.

The first time I cleaned my sensor I went through about 10 sensor cleaners, it seems there is crud from the manufacturing process. Afterwards I used a home made cleaner out of a Teflon spatula cut to size with pec pads folded over and attached with a rubber band. I usually go through 2 or 3 pec pads per cleaning.

Warning be careful with the amount of eclipse fluid as on someone else's camera it seeped under the sensor glass and took a day to dry. First and last time I show how to clean a sensor. Another warning examine the sensor before cleaning for any signs of grit as sand could scratch the glass and do permanent damage. For the same reason only use a surface of the pec pad for one swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:50 am 

Ditto used copperhill method for years, no issues. I'd probably go through 8 swabs it two or three cleanings, what a rip off.

Eclipse original or E2 & pec pads commonly available cheap at Vistek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:54 am 

fchang wrote:
I don't think anyone should use Eclipse fluid on a 5D due to a different coating used. Should use E2 or other 5d compatible fluids.

Actually, you should ask the copperhill guys with your serial number.

It was only the first batch of 5Ds that you needed E2. The later batches of 5Ds, you could use Eclipse just fine (what I'm using now after I asked which one to use from the copperhill guys).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 am 

JENNYSKIM wrote:

I had my 5D cleaned by them and after cleaning there was a different set of dirt spots, almost as bad as before cleaning. I took it back, and they admitted that the cleaning was not done properly. The second cleaning was much better. Given the extra trouble I had to go through to get the job done properly, I thought they might cancel the cleaning fee entirely, but not so. Also, you must check the effectiveness of the sensor cleaning within 24 hours of having received the camera. The warranty for cleaning is only 24 hours!

Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:06 pm 

How long do you go before having to clean your sensor? Is it time or is it more connected with the number of lens changes? I'm still shooting with a G9, and film cameras, but a DSLR is in my near future, perhaps the Pentax K7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm 

walkaboutcamera wrote:
How long do you go before having to clean your sensor? Is it time or is it more connected with the number of lens changes? I'm still shooting with a G9, and film cameras, but a DSLR is in my near future, perhaps the Pentax K7.

20D = I had it cleaned three times in just under a year of ownership
40D = Once in just under a year of ownership. Maybe Canon's dust removal system actually works?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:20 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Before a major shoot, I'll stop down my lens to f22 or so and shoot the sky or blank white wall and look for dust in the image. I don't think there's any set schedule for sensor cleaning. If it ain't dirty, don't muck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:21 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://goo.gl/cahhK
I only clean when need be. e.g. check at f22 at a light source and you can see all the dust spots if there are any.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:32 pm 

Carlton wrote:
Before a major shoot, I'll stop down my lens to f22 or so and shoot the sky or blank white wall and look for dust in the image. I don't think there's any set schedule for sensor cleaning. If it ain't dirty, don't muck with it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it - I totally agree and I'm sure the rage of times between cleanings can be spead out over a very wide period depending on a number of conditions. Just trying to get a feel for what that broad range is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:39 pm 
Frequency depends on your shooting environment. Shoot at a dusty track with a push/pull lens and you're guaranteed to have a spotty sensor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:54 pm 

Flickr: www.flickr.com/tauro220
walkaboutcamera wrote:

When it is dirty :). I clean my camera on average of 1 1/2 to two years. On my current camera that adds up to exactly twice in 4-5 years.

Again if you change your lens during a sand storm expect that to be a daily thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Where can I take my Nikon to be cleaned? any suggestions? I read about the sauga canon place but what about us nikon users?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:20 pm 
Nikon's in Mississauga also.

Though I don't think they do it for free but i could be wrong. I think you're better off getting a cleaning kit yourself and doing it yourself. Not that difficult to do after getting a feel for it after the first time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:43 pm 

Maybe it's time to have a sensor cleaning get-together? Sounds like a great event for someone to host if they were looking for help.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:08 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Tanner wrote:
Nikon's in Mississauga also.

Though I don't think they do it for free but i could be wrong. I think you're better off getting a cleaning kit yourself and doing it yourself. Not that difficult to do after getting a feel for it after the first time.

My bro-in-law checked with Nikon and it's $50. for them to clean your sensor.