Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:27 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/123194304@N04/
Hey TPMG,

My wife makes jewelry. Lately she has been into handpainting these small plastic skulls and making sugar skull out of them. They have some gem stone work on them as well. She then turns them into hair clips, some of which include silk flowers, and earrings. Anyhow, she wants to set up a website and start selling some of her work. So, that means I have a photography project ahead of me. Problem is I know nothing about product photography. Any tips?

I am thinking of a 100mm macro on a tripod with an overhead light source. For dark colours I will use a shadow box made of white foam core and a back foam core box for the bright and light colours.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:19 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Besides Googling JEWELLRY PHOTOGRAPHY TUTORIAL...also Google photographing reflective objects.

I photograph miniatures professionally, and to do this type of photography you DON'T need macro. If you have a decent telephoto lens, and you make use of the entire sensor you can get excellent shots, certainly more than good enough for web.

What you do need, tripod, light tent (cube), continuous light (you don't use flash for this type of photography because you want to see how the light reflects off the object).

I'd also look into tethering options for your camera (if it's capable)...you don't want to be staring through the viewfinder, or even the 3" screen...for small items it's great to see the live view through a large monitor, and even better if you can control the camera remotely.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:14 am 
TPMG ADDICT

What Mike said. Also, you can get inexpensive display pieces here: http://www.zakkacanada.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:40 am 

Instead of a shadowbox, try a lightbox. I made one of these; it's effective, cheap, easy and brilliant.
http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2006/07/how ... tudio.html