Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:15 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
Photoshop is no longer licensed on your desktop but is subscription based. They want a minimum of $240 per year. I own the CS5 suite which cost me over $1000 to upgrade. I don't remember what the cost of a Photoshop upgrade is, but I believe its around $240. This means that anyone wishing to stay with Photoshop will be paying at least 3X more than before. I was just on their website and don't see the download version any more. All they have is the CC version which uses their Creative Cloud. I guess Adobe has calculated that if they lose 60% of their user base they'll still be ahead. With those fees, I'll be switching to GIMP and other free software once my CS5 stops working. If I was a betting man I would sell Adobe stocks and buy other 3rd party software stocks such as Nik because that is where a lot of people will be going.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:02 am 
TPMG ADDICT

Have thanks: 0 time
We're going to see more and more of this sort of stuff, as time goes on. Look for Microsoft to be doing the same sort of thing with their Office products. Virtual apps and paying for annual access is the future of software.

Corel's Paint Shop Pro really isn't too bad and sells for a fraction of the annual cost that you quoted.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am 

Flickr: www.cjsphotography.ca
If you have a Mac, there's Pixelmator for $15. I've never used it myself, but others I know like the product.

I've been a GIMP user since 98, use to write code for them, don't see any reason to switch.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:33 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
I feel for the people without internet, cloud only makes sense with constant online access, which I don't use myself

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:59 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 6 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/enian82
will be sticking with CS6 for a very long time i guess.....

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am 

yeshwanth wrote:

My concern is if I have to re-install my CS5 on new computer sometime in the future, Adobe will have stopped the activation process - along with all the updates.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 pm 

yeshwanth wrote:

Don't be surprised if your next camera's RAW file can't be opened by CS6/ACR. Photographers are even more beholden to Adobe in this regard.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:23 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

A petition to sign if you are against it:
https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe- ... tion-model

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:34 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 6 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/enian82
Yankee Charles wrote:
yeshwanth wrote:

Don't be surprised if your next camera's RAW file can't be opened by CS6/ACR. Photographers are even more beholden to Adobe in this regard.

I use the propitiatory software to open raw files on most occasions...
and yea on the other occasions i will miss it...

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:53 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

I think it will be like the New Coke...as the backlash against this change grows and as more people leave Photoshop, Adobe will bring back the store purchasable copies and perpetual licenses (or maybe make it a 5 year license).

I'm considering my options...I had been a Corel PhotoPaint user for more than a decade, and only switched to Photoshop because I was forced to use a Mac at work (I much prefer working with PCs)...I'd switch back to PhotoPaint in a heartbeat if I could use a PC at work!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:28 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

PotatoEYE wrote:
I feel for the people without internet, cloud only makes sense with constant online access, which I don't use myself

Or high speed...I was a long time holdout sticking with dialup, and when I got DSL I got the cheapest option, with a small cap.

And there's also people who don't have credit cards...I like the Apple App Store because you can buy those cards at drugstores, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm 

The direction Adobe is taking amounts to curtailing competition in the photography and graphics design markets dominated by Adobe with a view to garnering higher profits from first world markets, leaving those struggling in these in other markets on the sidelines. It does reduce competition with significant dominance over pricing and at the same time introduces segregation in market on an international scale.

In Canada, for example, this licensing model will impact self-employed photographers and artists who may be occasional users of the these essential set products (that constitute an entire market) more than say design houses for whom this will become one more monthly cost of doing business.

While in the third world, there is an entrepreneurial retouching market developing to support photographers in the first world, and providing opportunity when there was none. One can see this being curtailed either through a high cost of entry or a complete lack of availability of the essential tools to operate in the market.

You can have your say .... contact your government ...

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 00130.html

Let's not sit back on this one. While we have CS6 to hang on to we may not care, but in a couple of years it will matter - it will be too late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hYc_SEDqw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:31 am 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/m2c_photography/
Petitions are nice and all but if a company is making more money, what good will it do? Occasional purchasers are seldom a businesses main consideration in decision making. The cloud complements its core clients with faster upgrades. In comparison, the annual cost of upgrading licensed versions (approximately every) year isn't cheap either.

As for the occasional user, you won't need a full twelve months if you only shoot summer weddings. A month by month subscription would be cheaper and far more advantageous. Although not really mentioned, I have a strong feeling that this cloud system is largely an effort to minimize software piracy and cut shipping costs. With greenhouse gasses being at the highest levels in the last 3 million years, perhaps e-downloading is a good thing?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:39 am 

This only works if the occassional user's busines is predictable. Unfortunately small business work is the least preditable. What small business can say that all they want to do or will ever do are summer weddings? What happens in the fall or winter when their wedding customers come back and say they want some photos edited? Does the business tell they to come back next summer?

Green house gases - shipping costs - let's not make things up to the extreme. Adobe already delivers all their software through the internet. The user pays for shipping costs if they want it delivered. How does continuously going on to the internet help Green house gases?

If Adobe cares about no one else but their big corporate users then they are doing the right thing. And everyone else who drops Adobe software for something else is doing the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:50 pm 

I'd consider paying daily fee if they selectively charge me for only the days I use the software.

$240/yr sounds excessive.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:04 am 

$240 seemed somewhat reasonable to me so I went to the site to check it out. Seems like that is the student/educational package. It's $600 for individuals.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:34 pm 

$50/m for entire suite
$20/m for single app, like photoshop only

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:52 pm 

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/26927699@N00/
Sounds like they're shutting down piracy of their products on all future versions. You're going to have to hack into their servers to steal it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:36 pm 

calicoangus wrote:
Sounds like they're shutting down piracy of their products on all future versions. You're going to have to hack into their servers to steal it.

Not really.

[NOTE: I am not advocating piracy. Nor do I know how to implement the following.]

The way I see it, the software resides on your computer. It 'calls home' to check if you are subscribed. All the pirates have to do is to hack the 'call home' process. Not much different from the serial number checking hacks available now.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:04 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
Yankee Charles wrote:
calicoangus wrote:

Not really.

[NOTE: I am not advocating piracy. Nor do I know how to implement the following.]

The way I see it, the software resides on your computer. It 'calls home' to check if you are subscribed. All the pirates have to do is to hack the 'call home' process. Not much different from the serial number checking hacks available now.

Cool