Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hello all!

I'm in need of some advice... but i'll start this post with a few questions.

How much would you charge a company if they asked you to take a photo for an article in their magazine? A cover shot of a magazine?
How much would you charge a company if they wanted to purchase your a photo from your portfolio for use in their advertisements?
What if this company was a large corporation with a large viewership and a subscription required magazine?
What if the company was a non-government funded charity that was willing to pay, but maybe doesn't have as many resources as the large corporation?

I am currently in an interesting position. I am currently working for a non-government funded charity, but they have discovered that I am better than anyone else in the building at taking photos. Over the past few months, my requests to take photos have increased and it has culminated in them requesting me to take the cover shot of the magazine they dish out 4 times a year to their "members". I don't have the exact number of their viewership, but let's say its at a few hundred, maybe around a thousand even. They have even begun to use my photos in their donation campaigns - their "advertisements". I think I am in a position now to show them that a photography position at my place of work is of great value and to maybe bargain out a raise for myself. I've never done this before. This is all new to me. I mean, I'm pretty much creating a job position for myself that this organization has never seen before.

I would like some advice from all of you professionals out there that regularly earn money from their photos - whether it be contract work, stock photos etc. I was hoping that if you guys could answer the questions above, I could better position myself to start getting paid to do what I love!

Any advice would be awesome and thanks in advanced.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am 

It is very different to take a photo on assignment or provide a photo from an existing collection.
Of course, the intended size dictates also the purchase price / license fee.
You might want to look at a book by Jim Pickerel, titled Negotiating Stock Photo Prices that is a very comprehensive pricing guide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:58 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
First it seems like you work for the company that you are taking photos for. So I would guess that you are doing this on company time and that you are already being compensated. The only question is - is this a part of your job description? If it isn't you might be able to negotiate a raise because of your extra duties. But they could also stop asking you to take pictures. Whether or not you want to create a new position for yourself depends on how much you are currently getting paid and if being a part time photographer will actually pay you more. Also, can your company afford to create this new position.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 pm 

PhotoLand wrote:
First it seems like you work for the company that you are taking photos for. So I would guess that you are doing this on company time and that you are already being compensated. The only question is - is this a part of your job description? If it isn't you might be able to negotiate a raise because of your extra duties. But they could also stop asking you to take pictures. Whether or not you want to create a new position for yourself depends on how much you are currently getting paid and if being a part time photographer will actually pay you more. Also, can your company afford to create this new position.

Thanks for this reply.

I am currently being compensated for my job, but taking photos is outside of that job position. I would of course ask for a raise but i'm not sure how much, which is why i'm asking around here for how much photos are worth. How much more is my time worth? I suppose they could always decline me and then ask me to stop taking photos if I ask too much, or propose the wrong thing, but I believe I may be in a position where they like my photos and would like to continue to keep me doing them. Long story short, there is a list of qualities that I can offer that other volunteer or paid photographers can't. The question of if they can afford this new position is in their hands. I believe giving me a raise is not out of the question, but hiring or contracting a professional photographer is. Which brings me back to my first question of how much would professional photographers charge in the first place. If I had a ballpark of this value, then I could better present the idea that I am a better fit for the position.

LesPalenik - thanks for that reference, I'll definitely look into it!

Perhaps if I can give you guys a scenario, would you be able to tell me how much YOU or how much you THINK someone should charge? Assuming you don't have to pay to rent any equipment etc.

If this information is too sensitive, you could PM me as well.

Scenario 1:
Company requests you to come in and take photographs of company products for use in the company's magazine. The magazine is not subscription based, but goes to 1000 members who pay yearly for a membership. The company would like to purchase the photos for one time use in said magazine. Would it be a different price if it were to be the cover shot of said magazine?

Scenario 2:
Company requests you to come in and take photographs of company products for use on the website. The products are all unique - there is only one of each. Let's say they are hand crafted, hand painted pots - no two are alike. The company would like to use the photos not only for the website, but also for any future direct mail campaigns or advertisements.

In both scenarios you would have to come into the building, set up, take photos, post-production and deliver. There is no time limit. In both scenarios, you are independent of the company. You work freelance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

If it is an ongoing activity, charge by time.
You set your hourly or daily rate. Don't start too low.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:42 am 

If you're spending extra time on the photography beyond your normal hours then you can work something out with them. However, if everything is taking place during company time, regardless of this being outside your job function or not, then the company isn't obliged to compensate you beyond your normal pay. Doing something outside of your outlined job function is something that people do all the time, so I wouldn't use that as an argument for extra compensation. Of you have a good relationship with your employer than I would barter for time off. Don't forget, as you work on the photography you're not getting work done.

I recently did over for 40 head shots for the company I work for during company time. I have capacity to do it during work hours since I have a team of employees. During my conversation about agreeing to do it, I had mentioned that I'd be happy to do it on company time only, or I'd have to charge them as a client and then gave them my rate. They agreed for me to do it on company time, but then later provided my extra compensation at their discretion in appreciation of the "out if scope" work.

Also I should mention, because you are an employee you will have no rights to the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:56 am 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/m2c_photography/
Itsaphoto wrote:
If you're spending extra time on the photography beyond your normal hours then you can work something out with them. However, if everything is taking place during company time, regardless of this being outside your job function or not, then the company isn't obliged to compensate you beyond your normal pay. Doing something outside of your outlined job function is something that people do all the time, so I wouldn't use that as an argument for extra compensation. Of you have a good relationship with your employer than I would barter for time off. Don't forget, as you work on the photography you're not getting work done.

I recently did over for 40 head shots for the company I work for during company time. I have capacity to do it during work hours since I have a team of employees. During my conversation about agreeing to do it, I had mentioned that I'd be happy to do it on company time only, or I'd have to charge them as a client and then gave them my rate. They agreed for me to do it on company time, but then later provided my extra compensation at their discretion in appreciation of the "out if scope" work.

Also I should mention, because you are an employee you will have no rights to the photos.

^ Well said.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:35 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: http://www.synowiec.ca
Magic wrote:
Itsaphoto wrote:

^ Well said.

What about the fact that you are using your own personal equipment? Doesn't that count for something? I can see someone using the argument above if his/her workplace provides all of the tools, but that's probably not the case is it. Imagine if you worked in an office at a desk 9-5 and all of the sudden your boss asked you to go out on sales calls with your own car, you would expect to be compensated for that wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 pm 

Your point isn't relevant since the OP doesn't have to do it, he is not obligated. Any incurred cost is his choice, and the act has to be viewed from a larger perspective if he is working for a good company.

Aside from that, my employees work from home time to time, and i don't expect them ask me to pay for their electricity or internet. And we regularly drive to offsite meetings, and there is no compensation for it when inside 100 kms. Its an expectation and those that whine are free to exercise their option to leave. That's the beauty of performance based companies vs. a union mentality, variable pay is higher.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:06 am 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
I do photography for my job from time to time, and have an agreement setup that for the period of usage, I get a rental fee of my equipment, with the understanding that I am the sole operator of said equipment. It works out nicely.

For other jobs - hourly rates apply, and depends on the job. Fine art photography -- I charge higher rates... by CARFAC rate sheet for most things - I give some discounts here and there depending on who is buying.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:29 pm 

Itsaphoto wrote:
Aside from that, my employees work from home time to time, and i don't expect them ask me to pay for their electricity or internet. And we regularly drive to offsite meetings, and there is no compensation for it when inside 100 kms. Its an expectation and those that whine are free to exercise their option to leave. That's the beauty of performance based companies vs. a union mentality, variable pay is higher.

Unfortunately in the OP's original post states that these photography requests are beyond normal expectations. Your employees took the positions under the expectations you provided them, this situation is outside of that scope. Being in a performance based role doesn't magically enable an employer to broaden expectations to a level that could hinder the employee in a number of different ways. For instance, what would happen if another employee at the OP's company accidentally damaged or perhaps stole his photography equipment? Who would be liable?

Itsaphoto wrote:
Your point isn't relevant since the OP doesn't have to do it, he is not obligated. Any incurred cost is his choice, and the act has to be viewed from a larger perspective if he is working for a good company.

Because the OP doesn't have to do it, and he's not obligated; he also has every right to ask for extra compensation if he chooses to do it, and that's what we're talking about. It's not an all or nothing deal here. No matter how "good" a company is, I'm not sure how good their finance department will treat the OP when something happens to his gear on location.

Last edited by BaRTiMuS on Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:32 pm 

double post