TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10 am 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
New Vermont Bill Would Make it Illegal to Photograph Anybody Without Consent

Actually I kinda like it. I know I'm gonna be the only one but I do like the idea. And let's turn that on surveillance too, not just you street photographers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: www.cjsphotography.ca
A problem with politicians is that they spend too much time sitting around thinking up ways to justify their paychecks.

edit - I think it's a terrible idea as I predominantly do street photography.

edit(2) - Doing some more cursory searches and found out the following. This bill is from early February. The attorney for NPPA wrote to the Vermont legislature about it and was told by the committee chair that there are no plans to even consider it. That was Feb. 28.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:34 am 
TPMG Administrator

So, if you thought past your own nose and gave it some balanced consideration do you think it's a deserved stride towards privacy? Or can I expect some thin statement about there's no such thing and privacy is an anachronism. Never gave any thought to the invasiveness of street? (trying so hard not to say Creep Photography).... guess I just did.

In the spirit of editing in hindsight - I don't care. Since I have a personal rule of not deleting what I've already said on here (I make tons of edits but it's always to syntax) please ignore my provoking in the above creep photographer statement. I made the mistake of trying to provoke an argument in something I could not care less about partly because I like being a polemic (shit disturber) but I also posted it because I think it's great that someone is thinking about privacy and the invasiveness about street in this way. It's not he sort of thought that comes from the street shooters around here too much. When it gets passed off as some sort of artistic freedom I scoff because that's such a week argument. Street is the most selfish photography there is. To take something from someone without asking and doing so in pseudo-secrecy... icky. I felt better about the world, slightly, until I read Venser's research results, knowing that someone was making that consideration. I'm back to my usual level of cynicism.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm 

ions wrote:
To take something from someone without asking and doing so in pseudo-secrecy... icky.
What am I taking from them?
Who says I'm doing it in pseudo-secrecy? I stand two feet from people and make sure they're looking at me. It's about as obvious as you can get without bludgeoning them with the camera outright.

ions wrote:
So, if you thought past your own nose and gave it some balanced consideration do you think it's a deserved stride towards privacy?
Do you always throw in the pompous jabs? How is the bill as proposed a stride towards anything? It's a Monty Python'esque boot coming from the heavens squashing everything underneath it.

ions wrote:
Or can I expect some thin statement about there's no such thing and privacy is an anachronism.
There's such thing as privacy, just not in public. Putting the two together is incongruous. If a person doesn't like the laws in place they should write to their MP or MPP asking for change. Just don't expect me to stop doing something legal because they don't like it.

ions wrote:
Never gave any thought to the invasiveness of street?
Sure I did, I just don't give a shit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 pm 

It simply sounds like someone took an unflattering picture of Betty, or Photoshopped one. Clearly there was little thought put into this bill when she introduced it to the house for reading.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 pm 
TPMG Administrator

I'm just going to let those statements stand for themselves. I think you've proven my point far better than I would with my pompous jabs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:40 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanfaust/
Not that I actually want to get into a debate (yes I know I usually do). I just want to add when it comes to freedoms and rights, in all their forms, it is about compromise and balance. In a situation like this it's about balancing a persons right to privacy and a right to freedom of expression. Those balances will change based on the location. Right now in the public environment the balance is toward freedom of expression. That does not mean it won't change in the future. Society as a whole will dedicate this and norms will change as society changes. I do enjoy shooting street photography at times - but if society one day says enough then so be it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:45 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://goo.gl/cahhK
Taking someone's picture in a public space should not be illegal. That is not to say that at times it can be in poor taste. For example I will not get up in someone's face and take a picture. I don't like the government over-governing and this is what is being attempted here. If someone has a problem with me taking their picture I will delete it .. not a problem. But if you had to ask permission before taking anyone's picture in public that would detract from the best street photography photos I've seen imho .. you would be missing and ruining the candid moment we are trying to capture.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vkhamphi/
What about people taking pictures of friends on the street and strangers are in the background, do I have to ask permission too?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
So would you rather people were banned to look at each other to preserve privacy in public? :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

No more taking pictures at the CNE, or Beaches Jazz, or any person in public for that matter.

I saw the key word is "distribute" it. I'll just take pictures of people and keep them on my own computer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:05 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

mikefellh wrote:
No more taking pictures at the CNE, or Beaches Jazz, or any person in public for that matter.

I saw the key word is "distribute" it. I'll just take pictures of people and keep them on my own computer.

Don't sweat it, not going to happen here

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:08 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

PotatoEYE wrote:
mikefellh wrote:

Don't sweat it, not going to happen here

I was using the CNE and the Jazz Festivals as examples IF it were to happen here since I didn't have examples of such activities where they were trying to do this!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:00 am 

A response from Betty herself:

This bill, H-233, is BY REQUEST it states it right on the bill, look it up under the Vermont Legislature. What that means is that it is not my bill, it is a bill REQUESTED by a constituent who really wanted it so it is a constituents bill, every Vermont legislator knows this. I do not believe in it but legislators do put in bills that are REQUESTED. This bill is not going to be taken up by the Legislature.

She did it simply to placate some constituent. Good to know she's somewhat sane realizing this bill was ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:30 pm 

I thought this bill would be doomed from the get go. Considering the immense number of people who currently enjoy photography and growing, most of which are taken in public places, wouldn't it be political suicide to back this bill?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:57 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Actually it would also make all security and police cameras illegal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 am 

Dumb idea. I've already been harassed when taking a landscape shit because someone thought I had take. A picture of them on their property, and I hadn't even pointed my camera in their direction. Besides, this would be a slippery slope law, opening the gate to other laws imposing on freedom. Anyone with a logical thought can see that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:11 pm 
TPMG Administrator

See if anyone has enough logical thought to connect some dots to here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

PotatoEYE wrote:
Actually it would also make all security and police cameras illegal

Just ones on public land.
Any private space like a mall or business could make entry on their private property conditional upon consent to be monitored.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:47 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
This bill would shut down all the newspapers and media outlets with all its implications. No legislators in their rightful mind would consider it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 am 

vkhamphi wrote:
What about people taking pictures of friends on the street and strangers are in the background, do I have to ask permission too?

That is actually an old and a very good trick to fool the bystanders. Just make sure, your focus point is on the right subject.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:36 pm 

Flickr: http://www.youtube.com/ernieontario
If passed, need to ask Boston bomber brothers for permission to take their pics (in the background)!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:32 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/71827423@N05/
I wouldn't do it personally.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm 

Dumb law