Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Has anyone ever been there?

Worth going? any other interesting things to do that can't be missed, or perhaps not worth doing in the sanctuary or surrounding areas?

I plan on going late September or early October for the weekend.

Any input appreciated, thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://goo.gl/RJbMu
Talk to David Sweeney - lxdwsign. He is VERY familiar with the wolf centre. I've been there twice with him, and it is a cool place to photograph, but best first thing in the morning when it opens... Less 'civilians' getting in the way of our photographing, and us getting in the way of them. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:34 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
Never been..... I've heard it sucks :) Just kidding. Yes, I am almost a permanent fixture of the wolf centre. What do you want to know? Currently there are 4 wolf pups, 2 black and 2 brown roughly 16 weeks old. The adults are Haida (alpha male), Cedar (beta male), Grissom (omega male), and Granite who is the only adult female so by default the alpha female, but she has nothing to worry abiut until her female pups turn 2 years old and reach sexual maturity.

Feedings are random, but if you are lucky to be there during one.... Its good shooting, nothing like watching a wolf pull out a couple of feet of intestines and eat it. Cost is $10 per person. (i get in for free because of my lease at HFWR).

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:47 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 9 times
I've only been to the Wolf Centre twice a couple of three years or so ago and the experience was mixed.

You will be shooting through glass, and when I was there it was dirty glass. I am not sure if tripods are OK, I seem to remember using a monopod. One thing I noticed is the floor vibrates with every movement of the people around you.

Other things you may want to check out in the area include the lookout in Halliburton Village called Skyline Park. And there is the fire tower lookout in Dorset just up 35. Keep in mid that this area is incredibly popular for leafers in late September through October.

There is the Minden Wildwater Preserve just outside Minden off 35 that might be good for some whitewater kayak action photography. Depends how water levels are in the fall.

There are a number of waterfalls in the area although most are small. If you are willing to go up to Hwy 60 you can visit Ragged Falls and Oxtounge River rapids, both of which are very nice in the fall.

DG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:29 am 

Thank you.

I wanted to know your experiences while at the sanctuary but also surrouding areas (thanks DG for the info, much appreciated).

If the only option to shoot is through glass then it may be a bit dissappointing, was hoping for photographs in somewhat of a natural setting., I was also wondering if any of the tours (like canopy) are worth taking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am 
TPMG Moderator

If you are looking for a natural background experience -- then the Muskoka Wildlife centre is probably a better choice for you. The reason why Haliburton Forest is a 2 way glass observation is because they want to reduce the visible distraction of people to the wolves. What Darryl said about the vibration in the observation room is very true - its an issue with larger numbers of people, and bouncing kids. Tripods are not an issue - never have been at least for me.

If you are planning to go up the weekend of September 24th/25th, let me know - I'd be happy to tag along.

The canopy tour is good - but I am not sure if they let you on it with camera's. they probably do. Next year HFWR is going to be building the world's longest zip line on Havlock lake - 1.6km long. I can't wait for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:51 pm 

lxdesign wrote:
If you are looking for a natural background experience -- then the Muskoka Wildlife centre is probably a better choice for you. The reason why Haliburton Forest is a 2 way glass observation is because they want to reduce the visible distraction of people to the wolves. What Darryl said about the vibration in the observation room is very true - its an issue with larger numbers of people, and bouncing kids. Tripods are not an issue - never have been at least for me.

If you are planning to go up the weekend of September 24th/25th, let me know - I'd be happy to tag along.

The canopy tour is good - but I am not sure if they let you on it with camera's. they probably do. Next year HFWR is going to be building the world's longest zip line on Havlock lake - 1.6km long. I can't wait for that!

Thanks, will let you know when exactly we plan or going, nothing has been finalized yet with my wife.

Btw, thanks to your suggestion went to the Muskoka Wildlife Centre site, clicked on images and it took me to your flckr page, this wild animal is truly majestic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lxdesign/5 ... otostream/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:39 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

The canopy walk is fun. And cameras weren't an issue when I took the walk. I did the walk just before the windstorm took most of it down, but I understand they have rebuilt.

It is fascinating to look down into the canopy instead of up and see birds and butterflies flying below you.

DG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:57 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Last winter I set up a couple of events at the Muskoka Wildlife Centre where we were able to shoot inside the cages. The wolves were part of those shoots. It's great. But it's not cheap ($90).

I have reserved some time at the MWC for a return shoot in October and will be posting an ad hoc in September when I have firmed up the arrangements with the MWC. I'm hoping we can get some fall colour in the photos with the animals in their fall coats getting ready for winter.

DG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 am 
TPMG Moderator

Looking forward to a return visit to MWC - and yes - they rebuilt the canopy tour at HFWR. The zip line is going to be ready for next season too - that should be spectacular. I am hoping to do it with my gopro strapped to my chest.

D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:28 pm 

Have thanks: 2 times
The only thing I know about this place is that back in high school two of my friends were on a co-op there. They walked in one weekend to show one of their parents only to see one of their colleagues being consumed by a pack of wolves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

dgibson wrote:
Last winter I set up a couple of events at the Muskoka Wildlife Centre where we were able to shoot inside the cages. The wolves were part of those shoots. It's great. But it's not cheap ($90).

I have reserved some time at the MWC for a return shoot in October and will be posting an ad hoc in September when I have firmed up the arrangements with the MWC. I'm hoping we can get some fall colour in the photos with the animals in their fall coats getting ready for winter.

DG

Sounds like a great idea!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:29 pm 
TPMG Moderator

neltron3030 wrote:
The only thing I know about this place is that back in high school two of my friends were on a co-op there. They walked in one weekend to show one of their parents only to see one of their colleagues being consumed by a pack of wolves.

There was a woman that was killed by the former pack, and while it is not widely publicized - unfortunately nobody knows why she went into the enclosure, as the rule is that two people must always go into the enclosure, and one must be armed with pepper spray. The only times they go in are for feedings and de-worming. Otherwise, they try not to socialize with the wolves.