Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:11 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
So I'm going to Queen's full time next year (which means you may not see me at any TPMG meetings until next spring though I will try to stay active on the forums) and I was wondering if anyone here has any photography-oriented knowledge of Kingston.

I know Chris (hotwire) went to Queen's but if there's anybody else out there that can give me any tips regarding being a photographer in Kingston I would really appreciate it.
For example:
- Interesting spots to walk around and photograph, or specific things to check out and possibly photograph while I'm there
- Good stores to get equipment from
- Places to get prints done
- Some sort of school or studio or shop that runs workshops/classes?
- Any equivalent of TPMG in Kingston, or any group even remotely similar
- Anything else at all you think just might be useful or good to know while I'm there for the next 4 (or more) years.

I've begun to do a bit of research on my own on some of these topics to find out more but if there are any of you that are fairly familiar with Kingston I'm sure you could provide some valuable info I might not be able to find using a search engine.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:39 am 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 4 times
Flickr: http://goo.gl/5lJUf
-Fort Henry is cool to see.
-The Kingston Clock Tower also know as the Kingston Clock Tower Light as a light for the ships in Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. This is a good location for both day and night shooting. It was known as a Lighthouse to the sailors, they used this light and one at the shore which is gone now to navigate safely throught the waters.
-Amherst Island - take the Ferry over and go around the other side is a road into Owl woods where you can walk in this dirt road. The owls are very abundant in the winter around Jan/Feb and sometimes Mar. Some people have gone over at other time of the year and seen various owls and birds there. Also a feeder there so bring some bird feed in with you and watch all the birds who appear. Even just drive around the Island and see what you see, may see some hawks, vultures, raptures, etc.
-Wolfe lsand has a ferry too and might be good to wounder around.
-Cruise out of Kingston to see the sites and some of the cottages/homes and various other things
-Gananoque Boat Cruise to Heart Island (will need passport as Island is on American side). The Boldt Castle is great to see inside and outside
-Any place along the shore of the lake is good for a walk too
-The Kingston Wollen Mill at the end of the Cataraqui River down by the lake. It houses the Mill Restaurant and also the Kingston Whig Standard newspaper
-It's been a while but I think Division St and Montreal St would make a good street walk.
-Ernestown has an abandon train station (off 401 exit to Amherst Island, can see it from the over pass enter on south road as you get closer)

Not sure if you had access to a car or not as some of these places are accessible by car. I went to St. Lawrence College for ECE (Early Childhood Education) and was originally from Brockville which is less than an hour east of there.

What are planning on taking at school?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:41 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
Don't forget the Babcock Mill in Odessa.... if you have access to a car... its not far from Kingston at all.

There are tons of things to shoot in the Kingston area.