Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
Hey guys, I need to do a little research for my Second Career application.
What I need is a couple of questions about schooling and skills needed to work in photography business. I tried cold calling, but people seem to be too busy to answer. :(
Now, I know there are some people here with businesses running, however I need those who might consider hiring another photographer or assistant. This is informational only, If I can have a minute of your precious time it would be greatly appreciated.

Please pm me if you can help me in this matter. Thanks

Dmitrijs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:42 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
A marketing class would be very helpful. It doesn't matter how good of a shooter you are if nobody knows who you are.

Cheers,
Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:47 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Thanks a lot, but the point of this research is clearly stated in my post. To save space and time from further comments on marketing, please reply only if you know someone or have your own business and are willing to share some information. Again, I will need a contact name, an address and a phone number to list.
Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:27 pm 

You haven't stated what type of assistant job you are looking for. What do you want to do, portrait, commercial, wedding , fine art? That may help in narrowing down your search. I agree with never22, shooting is but the smallest part of running a photography business, you may consider business and marketing research also. I with a partner have recently setup a business and should be live by the end of the month. We have spent the last two months setting up a business plan and marketing strategies moving forward. Good luck with your endeavors.

PotatoEYE wrote:
Thanks a lot, but the point of this research is clearly stated in my post. To save space and time from further comments on marketing, please reply only if you know someone or have your own business and are willing to share some information. Again, I will need a contact name, an address and a phone number to list.
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:07 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

PotatoEYE wrote:
Hey guys, I need to do a little research for my Second Career application.
What I need is a couple of questions about schooling and skills needed to work in photography business.

I hope you don't mind me answering...even though I'm not in the business I have researched this in the past and have come up with the following reference books that lists what education and skills are needed in the various careers in photography (the first book is in the public library, but I don't think the second one is):

"Career Opportunities in Photography" by George Gilbert: Grade 9 Up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:15 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Thanks mikefellh, I have read both these books, I would also like to stress that I AM NOT looking for a job. What I am looking for are PEOPLE who want to or have hired other photographers before. All I need is specific information from THEM, I think I clearly stated the purpose of this in my original post :wink: I will also need contact information from these people. General books do not fulfil my requirements.

I am sorry, that it's not very clear, although I have said it twice in my posts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 pm 

It's clearly stated now, at first is did sound like you were looking for a job as a photographer and were cold calling for leads and info. What exactly is the info you are in need of? Just trying to shed some light on your dilemma.

PotatoEYE wrote:
Thanks mikefellh, I have read both these books, I would also like to stress that I AM NOT looking for a job. What I am looking for are PEOPLE who want to or have hired other photographers before. All I need is specific information from THEM, I think I clearly stated the purpose of this in my original post :wink: I will also need contact information from these people. General books do not fulfil my requirements.

I am sorry, that it's not very clear, although I have said it twice in my posts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:44 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

I have 2 questions:
1. In terms of education in Photography, is it preferred, and what school would they prefer in applicant's resume (preferably in Toronto)
2. what skills they would be looking for in the applicant

Again, I would need to take note of your name, company, title in the company, address and phone #

Strictly confidential, only for my use as well as Second Career oficers (whoever they are) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:58 pm 

PotatoEYE wrote:
Thank you

Actually I have my own photography business, but I don't come to TPMG to argue with people so you don't have to take my advice.

Good luck you're going to need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:06 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

no one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:19 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Talent is all u need, u got talent and skills u can make big buck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

StE823 wrote:

so you're saying if you were looking at people to hire to work in studio, you would only look at portfolio, nothing else? What about lighting skills, not needed? Thanks for the reply :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:52 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

rhommel wrote:
I do have a registered business (with a partner) and would be looking for a couple of photographers probably early 2010. We use two studios/offices (1 hamilton, 1 london) currently and hoping the get a studio/office in Toronto.

1) In terms of education in Photography, is it preferred, and what school would they prefer in applicant's resume (preferably in Toronto)

not preferred. Everything is in the portfolio. During interview, I would probably ask for technical details regarding his/her photos. his/her lighting setup, camera, etc.

Must be knowledgable in studio set ups, 1, 2 or 3 light set ups. Must know how to direct clients (not models) on how to pose. Photographer must be personable, so clients would be comfortable.

i'll give u the company info, just send me an email: email [at] rhommel [dot]com

Thank you so much rhommel for taking a minute to respond, I greatly appreciate it. This helps a lot. Sent you an e-mail. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:10 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

PotatoEYE wrote:
StE823 wrote:

so you're saying if you were looking at people to hire to work in studio, you would only look at portfolio, nothing else? What about lighting skills, not needed? Thanks for the reply :D

lol if you don't have talent you won't have lighting skills.... how can you have a nice portfolio.. good luck with your second career..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

StE823 wrote:
PotatoEYE wrote:
StE823 wrote:

lol if you don't have talent you won't have lighting skills.... how can you have a nice portfolio.. good luck with your second career..

well, don't get me wrong, I think talent has nothing to do with skill and knowledge of lighting, it is required to make a creative and interesting setup on the other hand. Anyways, would you mind sharing your answers on the 2 questions and perhaps business contact info? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

PotatoEYE wrote:
StE823 wrote:
PotatoEYE wrote:
StE823 wrote:

well, don't get me wrong, I think talent has nothing to do with skill and knowledge of lighting, it is required to make a creative and interesting setup on the other hand. Anyways, would you mind sharing your answers on the 2 questions and perhaps business contact info? :)

i don't have official business running, but people contact me to shoot for them through forums and my flickr (paid of course), therefore i don't think my answer would help you anyways especially you want to save time for no discussion on marketing skills

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:54 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

well, thanks anyways, and good luck with your unofficial business :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:00 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Ok, so I still need some more input, so if you have a business related to photography or advertising, can you pm me or leave a message here? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:43 am 

Although i think your post has a negative tone I'll try and help. You need to be open to the answers you get whether you like them or not. You can't just take the answers you want when you are asking for opinions.

I have 2 questions:
1. In terms of education in Photography, is it preferred, and what school would they prefer in applicant's resume (preferably in Toronto)

I could careless and in my experience nobody really does either. I never went to school for photography and not a single client has ever asked or cared where I studied or learned. It really doesn't matter, they hire me for my photography style and my reputation. What really does matter is your ability to produce realiable and professional results on demand. My business is run on private clients, advertising agencies and magazine publishers and photo editors. They are not buying my diploma or degrees they are buying my photography.

An education may help with the understanding of fundamentals, techniques and the application of technology but a piece of paper really isn't good for much other than staring at. However, I am in absolutely no way discrediting the value of a photography education. A strong education is a foundation to build on and rely on.

Any assistant I've hired is based on their portfolio quality, their rates, and their reputation. I'd say that the vast majority of my bookings are based on the same things.

Photographers are hired because of what they can deliver. Having a pool of skills and talents to draw from is the infinitely important part. Most people don't care where those came from. They want to know that if they hire you they can depend on you, they don't have to baby sit you and that you will deliver what you promise and what they expect of invisioned.

You can argue what you like but a portfolio shows almost all that needs to be said. It shows what you can and can not do with your photography. It shows who you are in your sense of style. This is why portfolios are so important and why everyone still has one. What a portfolio doesn't say or do is speak to your abillity to produce those results effectively. You may be able to light well but can you set it up quickly and properly or does it take you three hours of fiddling around? That's what a reputation can answer for a prospective client or company that may hire you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:38 pm 

although I'm not related to photography, I can chime in from a web ad perspective.

what jeremy said pretty much applies here as well, for all aspects ranging from writing, coding and designing. you need a proper portfolio that screams out professionalism to get attention.

when I was hiring outside writers I looked for the following, in the order of importance:

samples of their writing
rate
turn around time
cover letter
personal communication skills

I really didn't care about their official resume since education is meaningless to me. I believe that resume only matters when you're dealing through bureaucracy. if you are dealing with personal / small business, the only thing that matters is your ability. and in order to prove that, easiest way is through a portfolio. I don't care about what you learned, show me what you can do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:36 pm 

On average I get 100+ emails/calls a year from photography students looking for work. Most will go around and around how much they love what they do...blah blah and then just include their resume. Why would I need that?! All I would need from them is a link to their portfolio. It can tell EVERYTHING about that person and all the skills he/she has.