Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 0 time
Just curious if anyone has taken courses at the "School of Photography" located in North York on Wilson Ave?

http://www.schoolofphotography.ca/index.html

I found this by accident today, and wondered if anyone has ever taken a class there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:20 am 

No, have not heard of it before. But checking out the site, I see that the "School of Photography" is owned and operated by "Canada Wild" which is photographer Peter Gatt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

tbsingleton73 wrote:
I see that the "School of Photography" is owned and operated by "Canada Wild" which is photographer Peter Gatt.

In that case, are you familiar with Petter Gatt; have you been to a lecture/class he did, or are you just familiar with his wildlife work (I never heard of him before today).

As he says on the site he originally had it under the name of Canada Wild, but he wasn't getting too many hits for the classes, so he put up the other site.

The reason why I'm asking (besides as a resource I can refer to) is I'm considering taking a class in nude photography and right now it's between him and Pikto; it's not something I've done (formally) and it's something I'd like to try, but with a proper instructor (not by someone who will just set up a portrait shoot).

Portrait photography is something I really hate doing and am uncomfortable with, so I'm looking for something that will guide me with my uneasiness; I've gone through tons of books and videos, and they just don't cover what can be done in a class situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:59 pm 

I did a Photoshop course with them about a year and a half ago and I was not impressed. I wanted to take a class where they had computers to practice on. He just got up in the room and gave a verbal seminar where he did things with photoshop and I watched. I learn by doing it myself. And I was the only one in the class and I felt awkward. Now, as for the course you are looking at, I do not know but I would never recommend a Photoshop course from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:31 am 

mikefellh wrote:
In that case, are you familiar with Petter Gatt; have you been to a lecture/class he did, or are you just familiar with his wildlife work (I never heard of him before today).

Actually, I never heard of him before today either. I just followed the links on his site and pulled the info from there. Sorry, no help.