Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:25 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbiscuit/
My husband & I are currently shooting with a D7000 & D90. Eventually I would like to replace the D90 with the D7100.

I still have my 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR that came with my D90 and am now considering trading it in & using the money to help fund the purchase of the Sigma OS 17-50MM EX DC F2.8 HSM. I know I won't get much for the 18-105 but every little bit helps and it would be better then letting it just sit on a shelf.

Currently we have the AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED VR, AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D & the AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D.

I had been looking at Nikon's 17-55 but at more than twice the cost of the Sigma, I just can't afford it.

I'm thinking the pros of the Sigma lens are well worth it's cost. From the reviews I've read, it's a pretty sharp lens, much more so than the 18-105. Also, I like the constant 2.8 aperture, I know it will come in handy. I think I may miss the additional range of 50-105 but I also think the pros outway this.

Any users of this lens? Pros / cons? Would I be making a mistake by selling the 18-105?

I have no intention of going full frame any time soon (unless of course I win the lottery lol).