Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Close-Up Filters Advice
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:57 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi Folks,

I'm going on a trip that will provide me with an opportunity to shoot some unique insects (among other things).

I am not particularly interested in either insects or in macro photography in general, so I do not have a macro lens, nor any plans to get one (or to lug it around me while travelling even if i did have one).

I am however a firm believer in shooting what's there and if there are to be insects, I do want to shoot them.

To this end, i think getting a close-up filter is the perfect solution.

That being said, i've never used one and don't have any, so i'm looking for a couple of different pieces of advice.

1. What kind to buy? (best "general purpose" magnification, brand, etc.)

2. All my lenses have different filter sizes. The ideal situation would be to get the biggest filter and use step up rings, however, obtaining large filter and needed step-up rings may not be possible in the short time before my trip, so I have to pick which lens i want to get that filter or filters for. My set of lenses for this trip is these three:

Nikon 50mm 1.4
Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR
Nikon 70-300 VR

I'm thinking that if i only get the filter for ONE of the lenses, it's probably wisest to do it for a zoom lens. I don't have any experience shooting with one, so I am not sure if the 85 or the 300 is a better choice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:10 am 

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/RyJTY
1- If you don't plan to get a dedicated macro lens, then find the best you can afford. Since close-up filters are additional lenses between subject and sensor, it might not be worth skimping.

2- Your 50 f/1.4 probably focuses close enough and might be worth trying on its own. I think you'll get the most benefit with the 70-300. Since both of your zooms are 67mm diameter, then that will likely be the size you want. You'll also get a pretty good working distance because you don't need to get so close that you can crush the bugs.

I knew I was going to eventually get a macro lens (I have two now), so I went cheap and flexible to get a quick start on close-up work. Hence, the cheap plastic Cokin +3 close up (~$40?). A recent shot:
Can I make it any heavier? by ofermod, on Flickr
Ignore the flashes, they're more embellishment at this point. The Bronica 150mm has a minimum focus of 1.5m. With the +3 filter it's about 500cm. Recent shots using the pictured setup (without flashes) at the end of this set: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDNxJv4

I haven't put the filter on my 70-300 in quite some time. I think I have /some/ results in here http://flic.kr/s/aHsj1DViEv.

You might also consider extension tubes. As long as they're sturdy, you don't have an issue with lens quality. However, lenses without aperture rings require tubes with contacts which are more $$$$.

With either solution, prepare to work with reduced light, manual focus, and small apertures to get any decent depth of field.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:31 am 

Thanks for the helpful post! My aversion to a macro lens is less about being able to afford one and more due to having to lug it around. Most of my photography is done while travelling and I already carry too many lenses. My main photo interest is in landscapes, so I tend to carry an ultra-wide (and sometimes a Fisheye too) in addition to the 3 lenses above. Carrying an extra lens for the extremely rare macro shots I take is simply not practical.

For my needs, I think the filters are best chioce. Sadly, the two zooms are actualy NOT both 67mm, the 24-85 is actually 72mm...it's quite annoying that when i add my UW to this set, my 4 lenses take 4 different filter sizes (77, 72, 67 and 52). GRRRRRRRRR.

I am leaning towards the 70-300 though as I'd be able to shoot it at 100-200, which is a sharper range for it.

How much light loss do you figure there is when shooting with your +3?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm 

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/RyJTY
Ah, Google returned to me the wrong lens :S

You should get less light falloff with close-up filters. I suppose I don't really notice since I'm shooting with a tripod in those cases.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:51 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanfaust/
I used close up filters before I got a dedicated macro lens. You will want close filters that have a double element (as oppose to the single element kind which is lower quality). There are different versions - some better suit for short focal ranges and others for longer focal ranges. To maximize your working distance and magnification get close up filters for the 70-300. Canon makes probably the best ones - there is the 250D and 500D I believe. If you google them you can get the information of which is better for what. Sorry I am on my phone and hard to link the info from here.

I have old Nikon ones - 5t and 6t - which aren't made anymore and probably just as good. Hope that helps.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:23 am 

I did read that the nikons and the canons are superior to the others. The price seems to match the quality as well. I opted for a set of 3 (+1,+2,+4) Hoya filters which I've now ordered. I figure it'll fix me for the short term and give me experience with different magnifications. If i find myself enjoying them, I'll invest in a proper Nikon or Canon down the line.

Thanks again for responses :)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 pm 

I'm currently looking into closeup filters vs extension tubes, to work with the Canon 70-200 I plan to get soon. How did you get on with the Hoya filters?