Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:26 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
jackctk wrote:
hehe, which is better....d700 or d600, not counting the mp.

As a D700 owner, the only feature that I am jealous the D600 has is a 100% finder. I couldn't care less about the megapixels.... all they do under reasonable use (re: not pixel peeping) is slow down my computer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 am 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
Official 2012-2013 Nikon Photo Contest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:17 pm 

Hi All.. looking forward to see the review.. But I am thinking will 70 -200 2.8 vr1 will still be a better choice of weapon? price range is similar, but weather seal and F2.8...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:27 pm 
TPMG Administrator

From the pricing it looks like the 2.8 is still a better option to me. Especially if you want the tripod collar! But if you have tiny arms and are weak and need the lighter weight... KIDDING, here are very legitimate reasons for smaller lighter gear, like being a girl. ;) The new VR is probably going to be great but I prefer lens speed over technical attempts to compensate for that. Plus the DOF differences.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lu_/
I'm a girl and I <3 my f/2.8 (vr2). Can't imagine giving it up. Plus, enough full days out with the monster and I'll be a *buff* girl. But I've seen a lot of people hoping for this f/4 to come out – people who are after the focal range primarily, and better image quality than the 28-300 can give them. (As for the cost difference, I'm a girl with no interest in purses or shoes. I have probably more than saved the difference over my adult life.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:25 pm 

eyt wrote:
Hi All.. looking forward to see the review.. But I am thinking will 70 -200 2.8 vr1 will still be a better choice of weapon? price range is similar, but weather seal and f2.8...

I expect this new one will outperform the VR1 at f4 (obviously it's no contest at f2.8) but could be wrong. It will likely vignette less and be sharper in the corners. Some things to consider:

-Subject isolation @ F4 is still very good (f2.8 gives you only a 44% increase in background blur or bokeh)
-The f4 zoom breathes less than both f2.8 zooms so its effective focal length at minimum focus distance is actually greater than the f2.8 zooms
-The f4 zoom has a closer minimum focus distance than both f2.8 zooms giving it a higher magnification factor
-all of these lenses have a gasket at the mount

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm 
TPMG Administrator

med wrote:
-Subject isolation @ F4 is still very good (f2.8 gives you only a 44% increase in background blur or bokeh)

Emphasis added by me. 44% is almost half. Would someone like a little more than half of their dinner tonight? A little more than half of their potential tax refund? Some other important thing that they'd like to get more than 64% of? Your point is valid though, assuming your numbers are correct - I'm not questioning, the difference in bokeh can be minor if it's not a concern. But if it is a concern 44% can be quite large. I'm more surprised about the price compared to the 2.8...

The MFD numbers are interesting. I didn't know that the f4 had a closer one. That is something that has an influence on blur as well..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:50 pm 

bokeh can be minor thing.. my concern is F4 can't mount on TC-2, on TC 1.4. So if we want extra reach, is VR1 be still a better choice for those DX ppl at least?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 pm 
TPMG ADDICT

Have thanks: 1 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/delsorbo/c ... 448542755/
med wrote:
eyt wrote:
Hi All.. looking forward to see the review.. But I am thinking will 70 -200 2.8 vr1 will still be a better choice of weapon? price range is similar, but weather seal and f2.8...

I expect this new one will outperform the VR1 at f4 (obviously it's no contest at f2.8) but could be wrong. It will likely vignette less and be sharper in the corners. Some things to consider:

Curious question, how do you figure it will perform better than the 2.8vr1 @f4? Most lenses perform at their best a stop down from their max.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:39 pm 

ions wrote:
Emphasis added by me. 44% is almost half. Would someone like a little more than half of their dinner tonight? A little more than half of their potential tax refund? Some other important thing that they'd like to get more than 64% of? Your point is valid though, assuming your numbers are correct - I'm not questioning, the difference in bokeh can be minor if it's not a concern. But if it is a concern 44% can be quite large. I'm more surprised about the price compared to the 2.8...

Excellent point, since of course "44% more" is not an inconsequential amount. Your spin on my numbers is a little misleading, however; the f4 maximum background blur is not "almost half" that of the f2.8, but "more than two thirds", or "almost three quarters". If the f2.8 yields 44% more blur, then if you go the other way you would say that the f4 yields 69% of the background blur of the f2.8. I also misremembered the number... I double checked and it is 41%.

I've seen a lot of misinformation in discussions regarding this lens that throw around "half" and "double" in reference to the blur-ability of these two lenses which is just untrue. Can you see the difference if you compare directly with the same distance to subject and focal length settings? Of course you can, but in examples I've seen the difference is pretty marginal. Both lenses can suitably detach the subject from the background and turn whatever is back there into blur. Distance to subject and focal length have a greater influence over apparent depth of focus, and the f4 zoom allows you to get closer and also has a longer focal length at MFD than the f2.8 zooms, both of which can help subject isolation.

Whether or not the f4 detaches the subject enough will be up to each individual. Personally I find that with my 180 2.8 I am almost always in the f4-f5.6 range for portraits, and only use f2.8 when trying to freeze action, which is something that I don't really shoot that often. This new f4 zoom looks like it will be a nice upgrade in versatility over my 180, without the same size/weight penalty the f2.8 lenses carry with them. I used to own the VR1 f2.8 and thought it was a magnificent lens, however it stayed at home most of the time unless I was shooting action near the trunk of a car (which was very seldom since I didn't own a car at the time ;)

Delsorbo wrote:
Curious question, how do you figure it will perform better than the 2.8vr1 @f4? Most lenses perform at their best a stop down from their max.

This is based partly on my speculation and partly on early samples that have been rolling out. You are correct in that most lenses perform at there best stopped down from maximum aperture, but the effect isn't usually as great with lenses that have a smaller maximum aperture (I'm talking primes and pro zooms here, not consumer zooms). The VR1 was designed with film users and crop digital bodies in mind, and it had a few IQ problems when FX sensors were introduced (mainly with vignetting, but also corner sharpness between f2.8 and f4... totally gone by f5.6). In the real world though, I doubt anyone would be able to tell images at f4 between the two.

The VR 1 is an amazing lens, and I suspect the f4 zoom will be as well. If the two are available at the same price, it will have to be up to the individual to decide whether or not f2.8 and included tripod collar will be worth the increase in weight and size. I don't think you can go wrong with either one...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88083401@N00/
Nikon unveils 24.1MP D5200 DSLR with optional WiFi

According to DP Review;
"Nikon has announced the D5200 - an upper entry-level DSLR that improves on the D5100 by offering a 24MP CMOS sensor, 1080i60 movie capability, a side-articulated 921K dot 3.0" tilt/swivel LCD and new processing filters. Interestingly, the D5200 is equipped with a significantly upgraded AF system, based around the same Multi-Cam 4800DX AF sensor that is used in the D7000, and the same 2016-pixel RGB metering sensor. The D5200 is also compatible with Nikon's optional WU-1a WiFi module. Pricing and availability has yet to be confirmed, and Nikon has yet to officially announce the D5200 in the US."

Key Features;
DX-format, 24.1 megapixel CMOS image sensor with EXPEED 3 for exceptional quality
Vari-angle LCD monitor: View life at a unique angle with a high resolution, 7.5cm (3.0-in), 921k dot vari-angle screen
Compatible with Wireless Mobile Adaptor WU-1a to transmit images from the camera to Apple™ or Android™ smart device and remote shooting*1
High ISO (100-6400) extendable to 25600: keeps the detail with low noise in low-light situations
Razor-sharp 39-point AF system with nine cross-type sensors in the center. Offers fast and precise autofocus coverage across the frame
2,016 pixel RGB metering sensor delivers highly accurate metering for exact exposures and provides precise data to the camera's Scene Recognition System
Scene Recognition System optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released
Continuous shooting at 5fps: so you do not miss that fast-moving action shot
High dynamic range (HDR): Gives detailed shots of high-contrast scenes by combining two shots taken within a single shutter release
Active D-Lighting: Retains details in highlights and shadows for well-balanced images, even if the subject is moving
D-Movie: Full (1080p) HD movies with smooth (up to 60i/50i) recording and a built-in stereo microphone
D-Movie AF modes: Live View autofocus works when shooting movie clips, keeping subjects in sharp focus
In-built stereo-microphone for improved sound quality
Updated new generation GUI Design
16 Scene modes: Automatically adjusts camera settings, including Picture Controls and Active D-Lighting, for optimal results.
Effects mode – seven effects including Selective Colour and Miniature, which can be applied in pre-shoot, for more creative movies and stills
Compatible with WR-R10 Wireless Remote transceiver and WR-T10 Wireless Remote transmitter that let you control key camera functions from a distance
GPS compatible: Records the exact location of the camera when a picture is taken by using the optional GP-1 unit
NIKKOR lenses: take advantage of Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR lenses and make the most of the camera’s 24-megapixel resolution. Capture photos with vivid colour and striking contrast. Shoot movies with crisp detail or experiment with cinematic effectsAvailable in three colours: black, red and bronze
Lightweight body (505g) with an intelligent design and superior ergonomics

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:46 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Quote:
From Nikon USA:

Q: How do I clean a camera lens?

A: The best way to clean a lens is to use a piece of lint free lens cleaning tissue and a small amount of Lens Cleaning solution. Do not use anything containing abrasives or solvents, only use Lens Cleaning Solution.

First we recommend taking a small blower brush to blow off or brush away loose dust or debris.

Next, place a drop or two of cleaner on the tissue (never directly onto the lens) and then wipe the lens in a circular motion, beginning in the center and working your way outward, removing any marks or smear.

If the above supplies are not available a clean, dry, soft, lint free cloth can be used to clean the lens. Do not breathe on the lens to fog it for cleaning. There are harmful acids in breath that can damage lens coatings. Just use the blower bulb, then brush, and wipe the lens in a circular spiral from the center outward.

The same method can be used to clean the viewfinder eyepiece of Nikon cameras.

Source.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:49 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Nikon patents digital back for FILM SLR CAMERAS! Sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
ions wrote:

Sweet! Glad I am holding onto my FM2 with legendary MF glass. Can't wait to see something like this emerge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Great D600 deals coming to Canada. $2k with a decent kit lens. Canon, you paying attention?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 am 

ions wrote:
Great D600 deals coming to Canada. $2k with a decent kit lens. Canon, you paying attention?

damn this is a good deal.. i was waiting until boxing day.. but this seems incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:54 am 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanfaust/
Check out Vistek - for today only (while supplies last) they are selling the D600 with kit lens and 2 x 32gig SD cards for $2000! if anyone is looking to upgrade to full frame nikon that is one sweet deal!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:07 pm 

Couldn't wait and pulled the trigger. Speny over 1hr on phone with bestbuy. Figured I'd share the experience:

BestBuy wouldn't PM Aden because aden's ad says "instant rebate"
BestBuy wouldn't PM Futureshop (!) even though they're the same company, because FS didn't have it in stock for online sale.
BestBuy finally DID PM Henrys, but they couldn't charge me the actual PM'd amount, I had to pay the full price (actually hit "pay" online) and be told that it'll be adjusted prior to being charged to the credit card (i'm pretty sure this is wrong and they'll apply a credit instead)... also, the tax adjustment due to the item being $550 lower priced wouldn't be reflected until EVEN later.

So ya know.. hoping for the best.. but yikes.. to think this a major retailer.

Still, saved an extra 50ish bucks + earned another $35 or so in bestbuy points which i can use on something.

more importantly - I NOW HAVE A FULL FRAME CAMERA! woohoo :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:17 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Breathe, Nikon says it's ok again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 am 
TPMG Administrator

Shutter Life Expectancy Database

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Gizmag D600 Review

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Two new lenses announced today - the consumer full frame 18-35 3.5-4.5 and the 800 5.6 (you can purchase a special TC for it - a 1.25 to make the lens a 1000mm 7.1) only $18,000

http://m.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/29/N ... econverter

Plus a firmware update for the D4

http://m.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/30/N ... are-for-D4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm 
TPMG Administrator

According to The Digital Picture:

Quote:
If you are in the market for a new Nikon lens, you may want to hold off on purchasing it for a very short while. A reliable source has informed us that significant savings (not seen in years) could be expected in the near future.

Stay tuned for more information...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:37 pm 

There is an instant rebate for Nikon lens from US website like Amazon and Adorama and B&H.
check it out :D
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/17/the-n ... -off.aspx/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 am 

D7100 Announced Today!
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/20/nikon-announces-the-d7100-dslr/

New 24.1-megapixel sensor:
This newly-designed DX-format CMOS sensor comes without an optical low pass filter typically found in most dSLRs, which means the camera sensor is able to resolve more details and render sharper images.

Improved autofocus sensor:
Its new sensor module features 51 focus points with 15 cross-type sensors, allow you to focus much faster across the frame. It also has a -2EV sensitivity when detecting subjects, similar to the D4.

1.3x crop mode:
This mode boosts your lens' focal range by 1.3x which translates to a 1.95x crop, much like a Micro Four Thirds camera. This gives you extra zoom capabilities without the hassle of changing lenses.

Spot White Balance:
A user can preset a custom white balance based on a specific portion of the scene. This gives you a more accurate white balance setting in scenarios with tricky, mixed lighting conditions.

Higher resolution screen:
The dSLR comes with a 3.2-inch, 1,299k-dot widescreen display that promises better clarity. It uses an integrated glass-and-panel structure that can be found on higher-end D600, D800 and D4 models.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:50 am 
TPMG Moderator

Nikon has announced a few new toys

Finally they have updated the 80-400 4.5-5.6 VR

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/05 ... R-telezoom

And also introduced a new mirrorless camera with a dx sensor and a fixed lens (28mm equalivent) - although at $1100 I think there are better options out there like the fujifilm x100s

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/05 ... ct-cameras

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:00 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Shoot One Second Snippets of 4K Video Using the Nikon V1′s Burst Mode

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:46 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Nikon in SPACE

outtake by (Ashley), on Flickr

Taken with a Nikon - IN SPACE!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Nikon, Sutton & F1 is an interesting gear-centric look at the motor sports image machine that is Sutton images.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:37 pm 

Retro styled full frame camera (not mirrorless but may have a hybrid viewfinder of some sort). Was just a rumor but Nikon has released the first of five teaser videos. Announcement expected in a few weeks. Likely name is 'Nikon DF'

Seems like it will be a bit of a Frankenstein from Nikon's current FF DSLRs.... AF unit from D610, sensor from D4, etc.