Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://flickr.com/ColdCatt
Hi guys,

I need some major help - a few weeks ago, I 'inherited' a Tamron 17-50mm from my uncle's friend, and It was never been dropped, and has been treated like royalty - pretty much on his 20D with caps on 90% of the time, unless he was shooting. When he gave it to me, I discovered a speck - it looked like a chip to me - inside the rear element, so I took it in to Amplis last week where it's still covered under warranty for two more years.

While I was there, I also asked them to fix front of the barrel, which was loose (a common problem), and of course, to inspect the rear element in question. The technician was gone for the day, so I was not given an estimate. Today, I got an e-mail back and almost got a heart attack:

I edited out the technician's name.

:shock: What do I do?! That's $200 + $26 in taxes! :shock: Amplis warranty (http://www.amplis.com/service/service.asp?id=1) does not cover cleaning services, but it's not something that I had requested - I had requested a repair (on the barrel) and an inspection on the potential damage, but I didn't even get an estimate for the cleaning service - they just went and did it.

I'm not angry, I'm still too much in shock. It's not that I wouldn't expect to pay for a cleaning service when it's clearly outlined in the policy, but it's the fact that I never requested it and am now getting charged for it. What do I do? Am I at fault? I don't even know...

This comes at a good time when summer tuition is due...

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:51 pm 

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/RyJTY
I had the same two problems with my Tamron 17-50mm. The ring I fixed myself. The dust went away -- maybe when I had the front element out during the fix. I admit to being a little overzealous and damaged the plastic inner ring that covers the screws, but it's mostly cosmetic and the lens still works fine.

Total Charge: Free!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 6 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/enian82
They should have informed you about the charge in the first place....
I find it weird that never told you what the charge would be.....

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm 

There is the refusal fee there, so this might still be the estimate. I did have them fix the loose front for me, but I have to show them my receipt first. Also, estimate are usually not given on the spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:58 pm 

I got an e-mail back, the representative said that she was going to check with the service manager, so I think it's already done...crossing my fingers, toes, and thumbs.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:36 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

The refusal fee line does imply it's an estimate, and if they did go ahead and did the repairs already tell them you never gave permission to go ahead as you had assumed there would be no charge whatsoever...and the fact the lens was still under warranty you shouldn't even have to pay a refusal fee for inspection. Were you told there would be any fees when you took it in?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 am 

You probably want to read the paperwork you signed when you dropped off the lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 am 

13inches wrote:
You probably want to read the paperwork you signed when you dropped off the lens.

I never signed any paperwork, I was asked for my contact information and proof of purchase, then given a copy of the service notice. I had only asked for a tech to have a look at the rear element and fix the front barrel.

"Upon arrival, a service technician will determine what is required to repair or service the equipment. The sender will be contacted and provided and estimate No work will be performed until the estimate is approved. If the repair/service estimate is refused, the estimate fee must be paid in full before equipment is returned."

I also got an e-mail back, which pretty much confirms that the work has been done:

"From the exterior it did look like there could be a chip in the element, however once the lens was opened and inspected it was found that it was not a chip. The terminology of our repairs can sometimes be misleading. For us to inspect the elements properly the lens has to be dismantled. Once the lens is dismantled we cannot just put it back together. To properly reassemble the lens the elements are cleaned and aligned as well as the focusing is checked and adjusted. This procedure is done on both warranty and non-warranty repairs. There is no special charges for cleaning it is all part of the repair. We cannot do one without the other. However, with that said I understand the issue of the repair charges and can offer you a reduced price of $100.00."

$100 is a big drop and all, but they're still charging me? I'd like to go with what yeshwanth and mikefellh said, and I wasn't told about any fees at all. I just want to find a good way to go about this with minimal conflict that still gets the job done. And you were right, mikefellh! I shouldn't even have to pay the refusal fee if it's under warranty.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 am 

Wow, that's insane !

Thats almost half the value of the lens !

I have a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 that I need repair on. The focus ring gets a little stiff around the closer range and the AF motor slows down a little in that spot. I might actually service the lens myself one of these days. I was actually thinking of paying them a visit but I have a feeling I will get dinged with $300 or more bill which is half the lens value again.

Does anyone else know another good service centre for Tamron ?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:46 am 

I believe Amplis is the only Canadian service centre for Tamron...