TPMG.CA
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monochrome red dot
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:01 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
It's no surprise that Leica has released a monochrome only digital rangefinder with 18mp sensor. You can read the details here

18MP CCD monochrome sensor (24 x 36mm)
No anti-aliasing filter
No color filter array
ISO 320-10,000 (with a 'Pull 160*' option)
2.5" 230,000 dot rear LCD

Although one thing really surprises me - the addition of
Supplied with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro 2

Why the hell do I need a colour-to-monochrome conversion programme for a camera that has no colour information??? :shock:

Post subject: Re: Monochrome red dot
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: www.500px.com/workprints
The price is $7000+ for the body only.

All Leica fanboys are incensed with the price of this product, perhaps someone should tell them that Leica now sells mainly to rich people in China.

On the flip side this release hopefully will shut up the film vs. digital debate, since Leica owners were the only ones who in order to justify using their 'collection' of film cameras took on the cause of film with a lot of zeal, now they've become second tier members in Leica fanboy club, because if you hang around with Leica people, you automatically have to fit in a hierarchy of M ownership, so a b&w M on the top of Leica hierarchy is good for those of us who think the digital vs. film debate is silly and stupid.

Btw, in this world of LCD monitors all sensors are equal.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:46 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Not all care about gear or fitting in. There are people who shoot film for its dynamic range. From what I understood from the article, the monochrome range is much more sensitive to overexposure than 3 channel sensors. I don't see it as a serious threat to serious film photographers. Rich kids, maybe

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:26 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
PotatoEYE wrote:
It's no surprise that Leica has released a monochrome only digital rangefinder

Really? I was surprised for that much money the street shooters would bother. Is there that much money to be made in street that a camera like this has a purpose? Baffles me. Useless and WAY overpriced.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:45 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

ions wrote:
PotatoEYE wrote:
It's no surprise that Leica has released a monochrome only digital rangefinder

Really? I was surprised for that much money the street shooters would bother. Is there that much money to be made in street that a camera like this has a purpose? Baffles me. Useless and WAY overpriced.

Nah, you forget that street photography isn't business photography. Most people who do street photography do it as a passion.
Personally, I think This camera makes no sense, just like Leitz prices

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:59 pm 

Have thanks: 2 times
As good as Leica claims this new camera to be the photos from it still can not compare to black and white film. Samples from the Monochrome and the US$7200 50 Summicron are all over the net. Yes, this new Summicron is insanely sharp but sharpness is not everything. The reason many Leica users love old Leica lenses is because photos from these lenses have character, the rendering and they do have a certain look. With the advancement in optical design and research in the industry as a whole in this day and age it is it is almost impossible to tell the difference between Nikon and Canon, Leica and Zeiss if I were to show you photos.

As a black and white shooter myself, I always found black and white photos to be superior to colour ones. But that is just my personal opinion.

Interesting enough the code name for the development of the Monochrome was called "Henri" and we all know who Leica had in mind.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:21 pm 

Nice camera, don't understand the market... just the very well-pocketed, I'd think... those hard-core enough to shoot b&w full-time as this camera demands would probably be sticking with film... those who are not so well-pocketed but can afford an M9 would buy one of those before this M-M, I would think...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:15 am 

ions wrote:

It's no surprise because the rumour sites have known about it for months :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 am 
TPMG Administrator

I would not have believed the rumours as I still maintain this is... absolutely not for me (nicest way I can put it).

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:45 am 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

I know a couple people here who'd buy it :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:52 pm 
TPMG Administrator

I don't have nice things to say about that choice. Fill in the blanks: _______ ______! Actually... don't. Your guesses won't get past the asterisks. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:55 pm 

Have thanks: 2 times
I'd buy a digital M if and only if it had M3 dimensions, had rubberized cloth shutter like film Ms, shutter noise like film Ms, and that the sensor can reproduce film like quality, had grain instead of noise and had the durability and reliability of a film M.

Leica as of now is definitely a luxury item company who's only goal is profits instead of continuing their rich legacy of building photographic equipment that lasts a lifetime. I could be wrong. These prices might be used to build their new building in Wetzler. Once the building in Wetzler is complete and they break even on the balance sheets, perhaps then they will lower prices a bit.

Seriously! $7200 for a 50 F2.0? I wonder how much the new generation of Summilux will cost, over $10,000? Hang on to your old Leica gear folks because they just increased in value two to three fold!!! LOL

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:05 pm 

Flickr: www.500px.com/workprints
I'm a b&w shooter too, but I would never buy a b&w sensor only camera. For one the dynamic range is never going to be that dramatically better than the normal sensors, and secondly as I don't print and place my work at museums (for obvious reasons), even if my camera shot HDR straight up, still I would have to down sample it and post a 800x600 version of it online.

Photography is about content, the dentists and network admins will go on 'testing' gear in the name of photography, but a picture is as good as its content, resolution and all that amateur nonsense is basically a distraction from lack of creativity - I learned that after burning a lot of money.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:13 pm 

I'd be interested in seeing whether there is some difference in the resulting prints (thought I read something about a printing service they are offering as well). But in any event it seems a steep price to pay.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:14 pm 

drop that price to 3-Gs and ill buy it. gorgeous concept but just too steep for the average person. it obviously caters to certain folk. I can't say I wouldn't take ti if i was offered a solid price or given one. it would be amazing,but ill just stay a dreamer for now....