Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what camera store anyone in Toronto recommends. I recently had a couple of dealings at a 'reputable' store in Toronto; I feel slightly taken advantage of because I'm a novice. I won't mention the store name of course. If I buy anymore equipment, I don't want to be shown items that do not do serve the purpose I ask for.

Thanks,
L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:52 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 2 times
I think there have been quite a few posts about this already

but nevertheless, it highly depends on what you're looking for... some stores are better in some respects for certain things. If you're looking to get info and touch and feel, I've always had good luck at the Henry's, Downtown Camera area of Queen /Church.

DT Camera, they are pretty friendly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:56 pm 

You will hear stories of good service and bad service about almost all camera stores. I have not bought enough to recommend any place.

Knowing what you want and researching the market is the best way to ensure you get what you need and don't get taken advantage of. The internet makes so much info available it can get overwhelming, but online photo sites and discussion boards (including this one) are great places to learn.

I find camera store sales reps show more respect if you go in with some knowledge and a basic understanding of what you need, and with some specific products and questions in mind. They will be less likely to recommend something just because it is an easy sell or high margin or has a big sales spiff on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:24 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/thericyip
GreatLaker wrote:
You will hear stories of good service and bad service about almost all camera stores. I have not bought enough to recommend any place.

Knowing what you want and researching the market is the best way to ensure you get what you need and don't get taken advantage of. The internet makes so much info available it can get overwhelming, but online photo sites and discussion boards (including this one) are great places to learn.

I find camera store sales reps show more respect if you go in with some knowledge and a basic understanding of what you need, and with some specific products and questions in mind. They will be less likely to recommend something just because it is an easy sell or high margin or has a big sales spiff on it.

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:37 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
every place has their ups and downs... I use Merkle Camera in Scarborough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:43 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 9 times
Everyone's mileage will differ, and there will be many differences of opinion from mine. However, here are some thoughts based on my experiences over many, many (many) years.

I tend to shop around a bit, but my "go to" store is Aden Camera at Yonge and Elm mainly because I deal exclusively with Frank and I feel I get a good price and advice from him. The experience with a store isn't about the store, but the sales rep. I have been dealing with Frank at Aden (and at Elm Street Camera when they were in the tiny little hole in the wall on Elm next to the current Aden location) for over 20 years.

Listed below is a store I am beginning to really like called DVShop.ca on Dundas in the Junction. I really have been happy with the prices on a couple of items I have purchased at this store and the friendly service and plan a couple of more purchases in the next few months. They are worth considering.

Here are some thoughts on the stores I use (all are in the GTA except for B&H);

Aden
Pros:
Good prices, and will try and match or come under other prices. Decent selection or will get it for you.
Cons:
Return policy is exchange only and only for 10 days. No refunds (sorry weekend renters) Can seem hard sell on first visit.

Henry's Downtown (Church)
Pros:
Good selection (poor stock - often out of stock) and have professional accessories not carried by Aden. Price match and return policy.
Cons:
List MSRP on their website (but will price match) which can lead one to go elsewhere, service has run luke warm to cold.

Henry's Outlet Store (Limited experience)
Pros:
Some good deals. You better know your stuff. I did get a good price on night vision binoculars there and an Apple LCD display
Cons:
Like a junk shop. I find they have a lot of crap, but not a great selection of really good used equipment.

Vistek (Toronto and Mississauga)
Pros:
Rentals. Good section of special equipment (only place I know in TO that handles R-Straps and Wimberly) FREE parking.
Cons:
Prices! Service poor, even when I tell them exactly what I want I get a hard sell on stuff I don't want. Often have to hunt someone down to help me (don't like to get off their stools).

B&H
Pros:
Even with exchange and taxes and shipping the prices can still be way better. Good service. I only buy accessories from them.
Cons:
When the loonie is down the exchange rate can hurt the price break. I really do prefer to give my dollars to Canadians.

DVShop.ca
Pros:
I am really beginning to like this little shop in the Junction. I have bought a couple of items there now and the prices have been very nice (best price I could find in TO on the Expo Disk, and then he knocked it down further because it was out of the box in the display case). Friendly service. I am planning a couple of other purchases from them in the near future.
Cons:
Small selection. Not much else right now.

Downtown Camera (only been in a couple of times)
Pros:
Decent selection. Somethings I have not seen in the other stores.
Cons:
Weak service. I had to ask for help at the counter standing right in front of the guy. It was like he couldn't see me until I spoke.

Basically I browse the Henry's store as they have the best store layout and product display, and when I see something I want I check with Aden or DVShop.ca. I go to Vistek for rentals and special gear. Downtown camera is visited when I am looking for something that I can't find and sometimes they have it (like special Cokin filter I wanted). And B&H is used for price checks and the occasional purchase when the difference is big enough to make it worthwhile (like the item I just ordered that was $50, $75 with shipping, at B&H and $130 at Vistek and Henry's).

One thing I think is good advice, do your research. Know what you want and why. Don't let some guy in a store tell you what you need. He may just be selling you the high margin slow mover.

Daryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 1 time
dgibson wrote:
Basically I browse the Henry's store as they have the best store layout and product display, and when I see something I want I check with Aden or DVShop.ca. I go to Vistek for rentals and special gear. Downtown camera is visited when I am looking for something that I can't find and sometimes they have it (like special Cokin filter I wanted). And B&H is used for price checks and the occasional purchase when the difference is big enough to make it worthwhile (like the item I just ordered that was $50, $75 with shipping, at B&H and $130 at Vistek and Henry's).

One thing I think is good advice, do your research. Know what you want and why. Don't let some guy in a store tell you what you need. He may just be selling you the high margin slow mover.

Daryl

Well said Daryl! That's my shopping MO as well. Although I have a contact at Vistek and Henry's that I've known for some time so they usually cut me the "friendly" discount whenever possible without me having to ask for it.

The odd thing with Downtown is that they absorbed or joined up with Broadway camera some 8yrs ago. I used to like going to Broadway and they remembered me there but when they became the one Downtown Camera, I feel like a stranger in that place and I don't get the "friendly" treatment like I used to. ALT Camera (used to be where the Henry's Outlet store is now) used to be filled with snobby SOB sales clerks. You had to BEG to get someone to service you and even then they talked to you like they were gods and you were dirt.

Aden is a little sneaky. They tell you one price and if you tell them that their internet price is cheaper they laugh it off and charge you the cheaper price.

If you're looking for studio stuff, Vistek is hard to beat. They service a lot of the commercial folks so could be why they may seem a little distant. That was my observation as well until I started dealing with one clerk.

One of the better deals around is Amazing Photo up in that little mall behind Pacific Mall. It's a small mom and pop shop, not a whole lot of inventory but he can get pretty much anything you want and usually at a much better price than the big box stores. They're an authorized Canon and Nikon dealer with full receipts/warranty, nothing shady. The drawback is that you need to know what you want if he doesn't carry it in stock. But their prices are the best in town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:08 am 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastyorkphotography/
+1 for Merkle

Vistek always rubs me the wrong way but I keep going back for their rentals...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:03 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Flickr: http://goo.gl/cahhK
"Amazing Photo up in that little mall behind Pacific Mall" - when you say it's behind Pacific Mall .. where is it exactly? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:15 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/thericyip
Seren Dipity wrote:
"Amazing Photo up in that little mall behind Pacific Mall" - when you say it's behind Pacific Mall .. where is it exactly? I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

Market Village.

Amazing Photo
Unit: C8
Tel: 905 947 8998

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:33 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Flickr: http://goo.gl/cahhK
Thanks Eric.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:09 pm 

Strange, I have had nothing but great service from Downtown Camera. I guess I was just lucky. Prices seems generally slightly more cheaper than Henrys....at least for those things I have shopped for.

On the other hand Henrys was always spotty. I never had 'Bad' service (though had some luke warm ones...) but I always have to wait a very long time to 'get' service. And yes, sometimes they don't go out of their way to help even if they are just sitting there looking bored while I stand there looking for service. Mind you, I realize that it depends on which Henrys, and more importantly, which customer rep is around. (Yes, there are some reps I do actually like very much and have had good service from).

Merkle, only went there a couple of times but in each case their service was great. Very friendly, very helpful and personable.

Aden Camera, I think it just depends on who you talk to. I have dealt with the owner and he is a really nice guy and will go beyond what is asked to help. No idea about the others though. Prices are good though.

Vistek, no idea.

www.cameracanada.com - always had good and fast service by them, and their regular prices seems cheaper than what you find elsewhere (assuming regular prices here).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:45 am 

When I go to Vistek, I have to ask for help, no one offers to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:04 pm 

thericyip wrote:
Seren Dipity wrote:

Market Village.

Amazing Photo
Unit: C8
Tel: 905 947 8998

+1 Amazing Photo. Make sure you know the prices before you go to haggle - and the cash price is often what u will be negotiating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:21 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

For me, it is less about the store itself, and more about the individual sales rep. For example, I always dealt with Patrick when he was at the downtown Henry's store. I sent all my friends and colleagues to him, and he has always taken care of everyone well, to the best of my knowledge. When he moved to Merkle, I followed him there. What store he happens to work at has some bearing, but not much. When I need something, he's the one personally bending over backwards to help, not the store. I hardly ever go into the downtown Henry's now, even though I was a regular customer there in years past.

I also deal with Stan and Harry at Downtown Camera, and Jeff at Photocreative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:55 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

blue dragon wrote:
When I go to Vistek, I have to ask for help, no one offers to help.

That has generally been my experience in the past too. Unless you personally know the floor staff, they seem to ignore you.

Today was an exception, though. I was there to pickup a rental lens, and had wandered up to look at video lights and a small softbox. Both times, within 10 seconds of stepping foot on that floor, someone approached me and asked if I needed help with anything. I almost ran back outside to make sure I was at Vistek! Maybe their management finally got a clue and told the employees to be a bit more proactive in dealing with (potential) customers? I ended up buying a Lastolite EzyBox Hotshoe softbox, I was so flabbergasted. :D