It's all about art !!!
and you can check the resulting photos on his Facebook Gallery

What you think?

Post subject: Re: Blow Job anyone???
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:32 am 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
I saw the digitalrev video about it. I think it's getting far more attention than it deserves.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahosking/
ions wrote:
I saw the digitalrev video about it. I think it's getting far more attention than it deserves.

+1

Nothing really innovative, cool, or new about this.
Someone just trying to be cute with words and completely using it to get some undeserved attention.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:10 pm 

Have thanks: 3 times
I think you are too quick to dismiss the merit in this images, Seriously, don't you find these images innovative? I have to give the photographer credit too because he has managed to go viral, on less than a month this guy achieved a whooping 300.000 vies on various social network sites... and that will certainly nail him some assignments, if not, at least he has managed to get some serious exposure.

I think the images push a bit the human aesthetics as we are use to see it, plus he didn't have to use an awful amount of post-processing technique in order to achieve so. Let's see, if those images were shoot by Jill Greenberg or Erwin Olaf perhaps would you give them credit? maybe because they've already made a name for themselves? How you value the artistic nature of an image?

The simplistic nature of these images and the "almost-SOC-feel" makes it for me. I can see skulls, I can see their raw humanity and can see beyond their faces and I can see beyond their beauty..plus I'm having fun at it. In other words the voyeuristic spirit of photography plays a lot here...

I can certainly appreciate an image that has technical merit and more so if it has been superbly post-processed, but these images are on the other end of the spectrum; the project is simplistic and trivial yet it awakens my senses wild. I hope this guy is onto something and we'll get to see more of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:35 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
Every kid who has taken shop has played that game. High school shop is about the level of creativity to it. I think you're reading too much into them. Going viral isn't a sign of much. Beiber went viral, is he good?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahosking/
Gerardo wrote:
I think you are too quick to dismiss the merit in this images, Seriously, don't you find these images innovative? I have to give the photographer credit too because he has managed to go viral, on less than a month this guy achieved a whooping 300.000 vies on various social network sites... and that will certainly nail him some assignments, if not, at least he has managed to get some serious exposure.

I think the images push a bit the human aesthetics as we are use to see it, plus he didn't have to use an awful amount of post-processing technique in order to achieve so. Let's see, if those images were shoot by Jill Greenberg or Erwin Olaf perhaps would you give them credit? maybe because they've already made a name for themselves? How you value the artistic nature of an image?

The simplistic nature of these images and the "almost-SOC-feel" makes it for me. I can see skulls, I can see their raw humanity and can see beyond their faces and I can see beyond their beauty..plus I'm having fun at it. In other words the voyeuristic spirit of photography plays a lot here...

I can certainly appreciate an image that has technical merit and more so if it has been superbly post-processed, but these images are on the other end of the spectrum; the project is simplistic and trivial yet it awakens my senses wild. I hope this guy is onto something and we'll get to see more of it.

I find the "simplistic" nature of these clips to be a point of weakness. Anyone can do (and has done) these bland shots with some "cool" air. Models are not doing anything cool to add to the shots.
It looks like a bunch of other videos but on a white background with some different music.

It'd be awesome if they were doing it under a waterfall, or at a camp fire, something unique and original.
And to your point of the "artist" who creates things, I give zero merit to a person because someone else values their work. Do I like your shot? If yes, I like your shot, if not, try again. I don't know/care who Jill Greenberg is or Erwin Olaf, have I seen their works and enjoyed some? Most definitely. But if they do something bland like this, I will not be impressed.

My point remains that this video lacks technical merit, visual appeal, and originality. Lacking all three of these things I am left bored looking for something more interesting to catch my attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:33 pm 

alexanderhosking wrote:
Gerardo wrote:

My point remains that this video lacks technical merit, visual appeal, and originality. Lacking all three of these things I am left bored looking for something more interesting to catch my attention.

I'm not addressing the video nor I care about it, it just serves to the purpose of breaking the ice and drive attention to the artist's work, it was effective on creating a stir on the media that surely will translate into commissioned work ( just do a Google search). Perhaps if the artist is smart will capitalize the momentum.

On the other side the photographs of this project are what got me thinking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:43 pm 
Official TPMG Contributor

Have thanks: 19 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/metrix_feet/
Reminds me of those fake face punch photos of a few years past. The one where you shake your head fast enough to cause whiplash. Never underestimate the power of going viral.

Last edited by Metrix on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:56 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
I don't see any art in this

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:03 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastyorkphotography/
Didn't you guys use to two that in the bathroom in high school with the hand dryers? lol....or was that just girls? Thats the secret reason why girls take so long in the bathroom. hehe.

I think it's a 'cute' idea but not overly innovative. Kudos to the guy if it gets him some exposure.. but there are much more creative and innovative photographers out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:15 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eastyorkphotography/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpywlDon ... ata_player

Much better :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
ahahahahah! funny!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:40 am 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/d3riva/
Thats interesting... but just interesting, thats all

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 pm 

hahahaha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:14 pm 

Finds new forum to learn about photography, somehow gets suckered to watching people and animals get blown for 5mins

Thx OP!

:D