Toronto Photography Meetup Group

TPMG.CA
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:00 am
Posts: 68
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:35 pm 
Offline
I'm on TPMG way too much

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:01 am
Posts: 1237
Location: Willowdale
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 pm
Posts: 237
Location: North York
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suziesue_photography/
philmar wrote:
rkanth1661 wrote:
SuzieSue wrote:

I like this shot...however I would have rotated it and have it look like a painting! Just my opinion... :)


Thanks. I will give it a try.

I like to keep my shot simple so that people can easily connect with it. Since there is no reference to show the view point, the upside down wavy shot conveys that it is reflection.


Aye, there's the rub. If you rotate it, some people would just think you have shaky hands or couldn't focus properly.


Yup! Point taken...to me it's distracting to have to tilt your head (by reaction) to view the photo... But it definately is a reflection...for that well done!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 pm
Posts: 237
Location: North York
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suziesue_photography/
danieltpmg wrote:
Image

Very interesting Indeed! I like it!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:03 pm
Posts: 213
Location: Toronto
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:07 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 am 
Offline
I'm on TPMG way too much

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:22 am
Posts: 1014
Location: Mississauga, ON
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 7 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/2928088080/" title="Westfield234 by janetliz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3147/2928088080_86642e39c4_m.jpg" width="159" height="240" alt="Westfield234"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/3608504201/" title="Lion Safari278 by janetliz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/3608504201_59c998e7bf_m.jpg" width="240" height="188" alt="Lion Safari278"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/3793962351/" title="Backus 620 by janetliz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/3793962351_851e794e69_m.jpg" width="240" height="169" alt="Backus 620"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetliz/3012769202/" title="Crone &amp; Poirier 02 by janetliz, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3188/3012769202_fb22f7032e_m.jpg" width="240" height="181" alt="Crone &amp; Poirier 02"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:16 am 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
SuzieSue wrote:
philmar wrote:
rkanth1661 wrote:
SuzieSue wrote:

I like this shot...however I would have rotated it and have it look like a painting! Just my opinion... :)


Thanks. I will give it a try.

I like to keep my shot simple so that people can easily connect with it. Since there is no reference to show the view point, the upside down wavy shot conveys that it is reflection.


Aye, there's the rub. If you rotate it, some people would just think you have shaky hands or couldn't focus properly.


Yup! Point taken...to me it's distracting to have to tilt your head (by reaction) to view the photo... But it definately is a reflection...for that well done!


One thing you can do is ensure that the crop isn't so tight. If you include some NON-reflected elements then that 'tells' the viewer it is a reflection, rather than an upside-down blurry shot.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/1340833299/" title="Taj Mahal palace reflecting pool at sunrise by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/1340833299_141595300f_o.jpg" width="772" height="1100" alt="Taj Mahal palace reflecting pool at sunrise"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:53 am 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 2119
Location: Toronto
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time
danieltpmg wrote:
Image


THAT is a cool shot!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:44 am
Posts: 356
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianroberts/4089869540/" title="Untitled by brian.., on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4089869540_8707ceed0d_o.jpg" width="800" height="1200" alt=""></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 pm
Posts: 237
Location: North York
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suziesue_photography/
Relection through a huge sphere in Unionville
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 pm
Posts: 237
Location: North York
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suziesue_photography/
philmar wrote:
SuzieSue wrote:
philmar wrote:
rkanth1661 wrote:
SuzieSue wrote:

I like this shot...however I would have rotated it and have it look like a painting! Just my opinion... :)


Thanks. I will give it a try.

I like to keep my shot simple so that people can easily connect with it. Since there is no reference to show the view point, the upside down wavy shot conveys that it is reflection.


Aye, there's the rub. If you rotate it, some people would just think you have shaky hands or couldn't focus properly.


Yup! Point taken...to me it's distracting to have to tilt your head (by reaction) to view the photo... But it definately is a reflection...for that well done!


One thing you can do is ensure that the crop isn't so tight. If you include some NON-reflected elements then that 'tells' the viewer it is a reflection, rather than an upside-down blurry shot.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/1340833299/" title="Taj Mahal palace reflecting pool at sunrise by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1186/1340833299_141595300f_o.jpg" width="772" height="1100" alt="Taj Mahal palace reflecting pool at sunrise"></a>


Philmar...Absolutly STUNNING photo if the taj mahal!!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:31 pm
Posts: 237
Location: North York
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suziesue_photography/
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3252466624/" title="Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/3252466624_cb3a95f609_o.jpg" width="1100" height="377" alt="Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:54 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 am
Posts: 2119
Location: Toronto
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 1 time
philmar wrote:
Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3252466624/" title="Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/3252466624_cb3a95f609_o.jpg" width="1100" height="377" alt="Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano"></a>


THAT would look awesome framed and mounted on a wall!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:05 am
Posts: 192
Location: Toronto
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88083401@N00/
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/88083401@N00/4084543604/" title="Fall Reflection by MustGoFaster, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4084543604_1d7f3f6d6c.jpg" width="375" height="500" alt="Fall Reflection"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 am 
Offline
TPMG ARISTOCRAT
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm
Posts: 5371
Location: Etobicoke
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/potatoeye/3878880184/" title="Under the shadows by Scapevision, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3878880184_d96cfea79b.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="Under the shadows"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:39 am 
Offline
TPMG ARISTOCRAT
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm
Posts: 5371
Location: Etobicoke
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/potatoeye/3809560435/" title="Extreme dining by Scapevision, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2435/3809560435_7a6f7f5d25.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="Extreme dining"></a>

Just in case you're bored with conventional use of reflections :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:41 am 
Offline
TPMG ARISTOCRAT
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 pm
Posts: 5371
Location: Etobicoke
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/potatoeye/3558093978/" title="_MG_6987 by Scapevision, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3331/3558093978_a2ba43eb0c.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="_MG_6987"></a>

This one was awarded a prize in Doors Open Toronto photo contest :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:51 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3303024717/" title="flamingos in Salar de Pedro de Atacama, Chile by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3456/3303024717_517035d109_o.jpg" width="734" height="1100" alt="flamingos in Salar de Pedro de Atacama, Chile"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:12 pm 
Offline
I'm on TPMG way too much

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:01 am
Posts: 1237
Location: Willowdale
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
philmar wrote:
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3303024717/" title="flamingos in Salar de Pedro de Atacama, Chile by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3456/3303024717_517035d109_o.jpg" width="734" height="1100" alt="flamingos in Salar de Pedro de Atacama, Chile"></a>


This one is in prize winning category in wildlife and whatever. I assume there was no pp.

Daniel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
danieltpmg wrote:
This one is in prize winning category in wildlife and whatever. I assume there was no pp.

Daniel


Thanks - the usual PP was done in CS4 - I shot in RAW.
The reflection is real. Shot in the Andean altiplano, the salt flats are very shallow so there's little in the way of waves. The trick is to get there early or late in the day to enjoy the directional lighting of the sun. Shot with the sun to your back and you'll get brilliant reflections.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
the past reflected by the present

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3150514568/" title="the past reflected in the present - Plaza d'Armas, Santiago de Chile by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3238/3150514568_c64f514085_o.jpg" width="734" height="1100" alt="the past reflected in the present - Plaza d'Armas, Santiago de Chile"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:06 pm 
Offline
I'm on TPMG way too much

Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:01 am
Posts: 1237
Location: Willowdale
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
philmar wrote:
danieltpmg wrote:
This one is in prize winning category in wildlife and whatever. I assume there was no pp.

Daniel


Thanks - the usual PP was done in CS4 - I shot in RAW.
The reflection is real. Shot in the Andean altiplano, the salt flats are very shallow so there's little in the way of waves. The trick is to get there early or late in the day to enjoy the directional lighting of the sun. Shot with the sun to your back and you'll get brilliant reflections.


Yeah yeah yeah
Said easier than done.
You need the birds to pose for you
Majority of the time I got their butts only. Sometimes I felt like yelling at them to turn around


Daniel


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:33 pm 
Offline
TPMG SUPERSTAR
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm
Posts: 3233
Location: Yonge-Davisvillish - T.O.
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
danieltpmg wrote:
philmar wrote:
danieltpmg wrote:
This one is in prize winning category in wildlife and whatever. I assume there was no pp.

Daniel


Thanks - the usual PP was done in CS4 - I shot in RAW.
The reflection is real. Shot in the Andean altiplano, the salt flats are very shallow so there's little in the way of waves. The trick is to get there early or late in the day to enjoy the directional lighting of the sun. Shot with the sun to your back and you'll get brilliant reflections.


Yeah yeah yeah
Said easier than done.
You need the birds to pose for you
Majority of the time I got their butts only. Sometimes I felt like yelling at them to turn around
Daniel


Well it helps if you speak a little Spanish :wink:
That way you can ask them politely to pose, or in the case of this little guy, I managed to ask him to move a little closer. unfortunately my Spanish wasn't good enough to properly explain the Rule of Thirds to him. :lol:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3303024401/" title="flamingo feeding - Los Flamencos National Reserve by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/3303024401_b2c6905c84.jpg" width="500" height="354" alt="flamingo feeding - Los Flamencos National Reserve"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 96
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Playing with my DIY lightbox

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:42 pm
Posts: 135
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:42 am
Posts: 485
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
philmar wrote:
Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/3252466624/" title="Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano by Phil Marion, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/3252466624_cb3a95f609_o.jpg" width="1100" height="377" alt="Laguna Verde reflection - Bolivian altiplano"></a>


crap!! so jealous! i've reallly really reallyyyy wanted to go there!!!

nice shot!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:50 pm
Posts: 405
Location: Toronto
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:54 pm
Posts: 96
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 0 time
Here are a few more from my outing this fall

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30896333@N04/4185770042/" title="colors by Hark-01, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2576/4185770042_f5272ab1e7_o.jpg" width="400" height="600" alt="colors"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30896333@N04/4185010499/" title="Still lake by Hark-01, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/4185010499_e84c22b861_o.jpg" width="800" height="533" alt="Still lake"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/30896333@N04/4185010629/" title="Reflections by Hark-01, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4185010629_e005aa8751_o.jpg" width="400" height="600" alt="Reflections"></a>


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group