Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:10 pm
Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:41 am
Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:16 pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am 
TPMG Administrator

Have thanks: 11 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherbrian/
What: TPMG Spring Hamilton Area Waterfalls Event
Where: Starting at Aldershot GO Station NORTH PARKING LOT.
When: Saturday, April 28th 9:00 - 9:15AM
Bring: Camera Equipment including tripods and various ND filters if you got em. Comfortable walking shoes, rain gear, hip waders ;), snacks, money for parking & post waterfalls munching.
Additional Info: Current forecast for Saturday is 9°C and variable clouds. Hopefully the clouds help us get some slower shutter speeds. Dress in warm layers and wear footwear appropriate for possibly wet muddy hiking.
Directions to the meeting point: We are meeting at Aldershot GO Station. This is easy to get to.

From Toronto take the QEW west to Burlington, at the Niagara/Hamilton split west of the Brant exit stay to the right. You will shortly see a big Mercedes Benz dealership on the right. Waterdown Road exit will be coming shortly so get in the right lane. Take a left on Waterdown Rd which is south. Once you go over the highway and you will see the entrance to Aldershot GO station. We're going to park near the ramp to get back on the highway. Look for a dark red Ford Ranger and that will be me. Unless I end up in the Red Bug, in which case look for that.

If coming from the Fifty Point early morning shoot get on the QEW back to Toronto. After you have passed the Burlington Skyway (that's the big tall bridge) and see Mapleview Mall on the right there is the split to go to either Hamilton or Toronto. You want to stay on the right side of the highway because this interchange was designed oddly. To go left/west you have to stay on the right for the Hamilton 403 ramp. You will shortly see a big Mercedes Benz dealership on the right. Waterdown Road exit will be coming shortly so get in the right lane. Take a left on Waterdown Rd which is south. Once you go over the highway and you will see the entrance to Aldershot GO station. We're going to park near the ramp to get back on the highway. Look for a dark red Ford Ranger and that will be me. Unless I end up in the Red VW Bug, in which case look for that.

Google Map of Aldershot GO Station

We're going to be doing 5-6 Hamilton area falls. This will look a bit like last years event, 2011 TPMG Spring Edition Waterfalls Event as we'll be starting at Waterdown Falls with a short tour of Grindstone Creek. And so on. :)

I'm capping it at 20 people which is a lot but we'll all be respectful and make sure we stay out of each other's way as much as possible.

Edit March 19th: This event will be taking place in the Hamilton Area and now includes a dog. See the post below. :)

Edit April 26th: Exact location and time selected. Directions added.

Last edited by ions on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:45 am 

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahosking/
As that is a multiple birthday Weekend, I am going to be a very tentative for now (one of the birthdays is mine!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:06 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/qualdoth/
Chris, are you going to bring an umbrella this time? ;) I still have fond memories of us huddling together under a rock outcrop while a torrential downpour went on around us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jordanfaust/
Hey chris when i schedule the fifty point beach event for early April I was thinking of hitting a few waterfalls - lets coordinate so that we go to different ones and avoid overlap!

J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 pm 
TPMG Administrator

This time of year is really hard to plan as everyone gets busy late May. All we can do is keep trying. There'll surely be a summer waterfall event around August if you can't make this one Alex.

qualdoth wrote:
Chris, are you going to bring an umbrella this time? ;) I still have fond memories of us huddling together under a rock outcrop while a torrential downpour went on around us.

Lol. That was awesome. Yes, under items to bring - rain gear! :D And maybe a change of clothes...

jordanfaust wrote:
Hey chris when i schedule the fifty point beach event for early April I was thinking of hitting a few waterfalls - lets coordinate so that we go to different ones and avoid overlap!

J.

Good idea. Perhaps all the more reason to pick some falls in a different area for the May event?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:23 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Have thanks: 25 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/lxdesign
I'm up for this .... but very dependent on the date. As May will be the start of Trailer season :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 pm 

Have thanks: 8 times
Im very into this. No car is my problem.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:24 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ahosking/
Bynx wrote:
Im very into this. No car is my problem.

You should register as tentative then and get the discussions going on ride/cost sharing :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:11 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Quote:

Good idea. Perhaps all the more reason to pick some falls in a different area for the May event?

I am definitely down for that. I have visited lots of waterfalls in the golden horseshoe area (which makes sense for fifty point beach), but I have not done so much in the waterfalls up north and would really like to see some treks up there.

As long as the date works for me i'm in. And I have a car i'm willing to put km's onto!! Open for car pooling to help pay for gas (as long as those are within my location or along the proposed route).

J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 9 times
May is a killer month for me. I love the waterfalls, but the weekend of the 26th is Anime North, Exposure and I have a baptism to attend. Other weekends are just as loaded. Expecting Tim to post his annual warblers trip as well soon (no pressure dude).

DG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:57 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Perhaps a waterfall event at the end of April wouldn't be a bad idea? If today's weather and the current forecast is any indication summer is arriving by the end of the month. I usually find April to be a bit mucky/brown. Then again, last years event didn't occur until early June because of how busy the end of May is for everyone...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:40 pm 
TPMG Moderator

How about beginning of May as a compromise? - only because I already have family commitments for the last weekend of April. But obviously you can't make everyone happy lol. If I can't go I may have to organize a Northern waterfalls trip in the fall :-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm 

Have thanks: 3 times
Flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/RyJTY
I'm wondering if all of this compromising might run into cherry blossom season.

No reason why it can't be all worked out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm 
TPMG Administrator

utsc2006 will be away for the first half of May, you'll have to ask the "boss" if I'm allowed to host a waterfalls event without her. ;) Kidding aside, she'd like to go. The end of May looks too busy for too many and I think moving it into June makes it too similar to a summer waterfall event. So, unless there are any objections I'm moving the tentative dates to April 28th 29th. If it's brown I'm gonna complain! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:06 pm 
TPMG Moderator

ofermod wrote:
I'm wondering if all of this compromising might run into cherry blossom season.

No reason why it can't be all worked out.

Thats why I said in the Fall (ilke October) so not to over-saturate and turn into another Cherry Blossom - that was a bit ugly wasn't it? lol

That reminds me when is Cherry Blossoms this year?? ;-)
Sorry lets keep that to another thread this thread is about waterfalls!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:07 pm 
TPMG Moderator

ions wrote:
utsc2006 will be away for the first half of May, you'll have to ask the "boss" if I'm allowed to host a waterfalls event without her. ;) Kidding aside, she'd like to go. The end of May looks too busy for too many and I think moving it into June makes it too similar to a summer waterfall event. So, unless there are any objections I'm moving the tentative dates to April 28th 29th. If it's brown I'm gonna complain! :D

Well there goes my chance to drop another camera into the creek ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 am 

Where abouts are you located Jordan. Its no problem for me to be in the Union Station area or anywhere on the Subway line. If leaving is for really early in the morning though Im confined to GO train starting times.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:47 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

Have thanks: 0 time
I'm pretty flexible and can fit a couple people in the car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:10 pm 
TPMG Moderator

Bynx wrote:
Where abouts are you located Jordan. Its no problem for me to be in the Union Station area or anywhere on the Subway line. If leaving is for really early in the morning though Im confined to GO train starting times.

Hi Bynx - if this event happens on the weekend of the 28/29 as now scheduled I won't be able to make it. If things change and I wind up going we can discuss rides. But I would suggest you make ride arrangements with someone else to be safe.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:13 pm 

Ok thanks Jordan. So if anyone drives reasonably close to a GO station anywhere between Ajax and Hamilton where we can meet please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:15 am 
TPMG Administrator

*IF* we end up doing the Hamilton area falls GO does run to and from Aldershot hourly stopping at every station within our timeframe. You'll even get to pass the spot of recent events if you take that route. Morbid and sad... If we go north this is a whole nother can of worms, any thoughts on that yet?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:14 am 

Best I can do on a northern route is Yorkdale Mall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:32 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
I'm curious, I've never done a waterfall event before (only been out to one event, and we ended early because of intense rain / hail). I'm ok with any direction, but it's my birthday weekend and I haven't firmed up my plans yet. That said, I'm sure I can squeeze in a photo adventure, but until I know what Im doing, I'll have to stay a 'maybe'.

Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 pm 
TPMG Administrator

****Update****

This will be in the Hamilton area and I have a furry guest coming. I'm dog sitting that weekend which means I can't go too far at any one time without stopping as we would if we were heading north. If you are afraid of dogs all the more reason to come out, she's a sweetheart. I, of course, will have her on a leash at all times in case she does make people nervous and that is the rules of the places we are going. The bonus is if you want to try some pet portraiture with her we can, maybe even environmental portraiture. She is a very well behaved friendly dog but not a well behaved model so we'll see how it goes. Sorry if you were hoping for a trip north but the needs of this dog come before anyone else's, she demands it. :D

Kimi's 5th Birthday! German Shepherd Dog by Christopher Brian's Photography, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:56 pm 

With about a hundred waterfalls of one size or another in the Hamilton area, it doesnt make sense to spend most of the day driving just to shoot another one. That is unless you have shots of the hundred and want to get the rest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:17 pm 
TPMG Administrator

Six or seven falls will be decided in this thread well before the event. Over the course of the day we'll make it to most of them with the longest drive between any two falls less than a half hour. Take a look at previous events to get a sense of how this will work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:27 am 

There are 3 or 4 over 50 feet high.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 am 
TPMG Administrator

I know, I lived in Burlington for over a decade and have seen most of what the City of Waterfalls offers from it's tinkles to its more urgent flows. Don't measure by height alone, Hamilton can leave you high and dry. That said, you are, of course, free to make suggestions of which falls you would like to see. As long as they're close I try and include every suggestion. I also try and confirm there's some flow before the big waterfall day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:53 am 

Ive only been to two falls, Websters and Tews. From what Ive seen of a lot of the pics of various falls, it seems Ive seen the best. They offered a lot of different views. Now that Ive bought hip waders Im hoping to get even better shots. Ive been looking at taking a bicycle to Aldershot or to Hamilton GO station. Aldershot is close to Waterdown and the four waterfalls there. But only one is worth shooting. Hamilton station is close to Beckett Falls and a few others. But I didnt see any falls pics that would make me feel the trip would be worth while. A lot of falls are just some water dribbling over some rocks. Lower Princess Falls looked pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:01 am 
TPMG Administrator

Our meet will most likely (99% chance) start at Aldershot GO station as it's down the street from where my bed is that weekend. You must be a strong cyclist to be planning to make these trips, while they're not the Pyrenees it can be hilly. Good stuff. Have you though about organizing a cycling & shooting event of some sort?