TPMG.CA
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:05 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
madelica wrote:
dgibson wrote:

...ignore the parameters set for events. Does this apply to rangefinder only, film only, medium format only, large format only and other events that had parameters for participation? Just curious.

Works for me.

Daryl

well, just think of it like this.

lets say that the theme of the meet up is to "take pictures of people". now, you sure can take picture of whatever you want during the meet up, dogs, flowers, sky, whatever. it won't really matter since nobody would not mind.

however, people are meeting under a certain theme in mind to accomplish something within that scope. pushing the subject at the forum by saying something like "i will take pictures of cats at this walk!" will raise some eyebrows since you're defeating the initial theme of the meet up.

if you want to do something, just do it at your own discretion. why argue semantics over the forum? if you want to meet up you can just show up. follow the theme if you want, don't if you don't want to. not like there is a tpmg police going around kicking your ass if you don't follow the theme... or is there ?

Obviously, you don't understand the point.

I would LOVE to follow the theme, but the "theme" is very unclear. Can you define 50mm to me? Is 50mm same as the 50mm on XTi, 5D, or 1D? Should a person that's using 50mm EFFECTIVE FL be excluded in this because they are not using a 50mm FL LENS?

Don't try to be a smartass, because clearly your cat example is not. I am not trying to be mean, but why am I getting blamed for unclear rules? Another member in this thread mccraig is getting excluded because of the same reason. How many more members are getting excluded when they just want to join the fun without breaking the "rules"?

You are absolutely right about "there's no TPMG cops". That doesn't give me a reason to attend a meet and BREAK THE RULES.

Last edited by cy on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:06 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

Have thanks: 10 times
Flickr: www.flickr.com/potatoeye/
police will only screen submissions to the pool, however I doubt they will even mind it, since there is no way to tell what event the pic has been taken at, especially if you strip exif info :lol: in my opinion, it's more fun to see everyone's view when everyone has the same lens, same primes that is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 pm 

PotatoEYE wrote:
police will only screen submissions to the pool, however I doubt they will even mind it, since there is no way to tell what event the pic has been taken at, especially if you strip exif info :lol: in my opinion, it's more fun to see everyone's view when everyone has the same lens, same primes that is

Just a minor correction: "it's more fun to see everyone's view when everyone has the same "Effective Focal length." :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:15 pm 

Guys, this is simple: If you have a 50, then bring it. If you don't, just tag along anyways if interested. This is a social group. We all have a passion for photography: Let's get together and share that passion 50mm or not :D I'm pretty sure Eric won't mind. Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:26 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Have thanks: 2 times
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/thericyip
sabesh wrote:
Guys, this is simple: If you have a 50, then bring it. If you don't, just tag along anyways if interested. This is a social group. We all have a passion for photography: Let's get together and share that passion 50mm or not :D I'm pretty sure Eric won't mind. Cheers.

+1!

I've stated that this is a 50mm prime lens photowalk and I've already included MF lenses from 50-59mm. First post states: any type of body with a 50mm prime lens or manual focus prime of 50-59mm. I say any type of body because there are members with FF, 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x, 2.0x and that's the usual question that comes up.

I wanted to stick with the event's parameters because I stuck with it at my telephoto prime photoshoot. I didn't want to make it unfair or that I'm giving some the go-ahead to break the parameters and not others.

As said before, I'm only giving the parameters of the event. It is the main reason why we're shooting together, using 50mm primes. If you wish to bring a 35mm prime lens to get a 50mm-ish FOV (or any other lens or body for that matter), go ahead. I'm not going to check everyone's lenses when we start and obviously making sure no one switches lenses during the event.

Now.. I'm going to organize my schedule for the next few weeks. I plan to make a Canon photowalk with L glass only... XD That's going to start some "conversations"... hahaha

Last edited by thericyip on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

cy wrote:
PotatoEYE wrote:

Just a minor correction: "it's more fun to see everyone's view when everyone has the same "Effective Focal length." :)

whatever :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm 

really? what part of 50mm prime did you not understand?

when you initially asked if 35mm was okay since it will be similar to 50 with crop factor, host said no. doesn't that tell you it is 50mm prime "lens"?

who here is blaming you for unclear rules? I'm pretty sure you're welcomed to join just for the social aspect even without a camera, but when the question is "is 35mm 50mm" the answer is obviously no.

like i said again and again, just participate with whatever you have, instead of trying to force the issue by trying to argue technicalities.

cy wrote:
madelica wrote:
dgibson wrote:

...ignore the parameters set for events. Does this apply to rangefinder only, film only, medium format only, large format only and other events that had parameters for participation? Just curious.

Works for me.

Daryl

well, just think of it like this.

lets say that the theme of the meet up is to "take pictures of people". now, you sure can take picture of whatever you want during the meet up, dogs, flowers, sky, whatever. it won't really matter since nobody would not mind.

however, people are meeting under a certain theme in mind to accomplish something within that scope. pushing the subject at the forum by saying something like "i will take pictures of cats at this walk!" will raise some eyebrows since you're defeating the initial theme of the meet up.

if you want to do something, just do it at your own discretion. why argue semantics over the forum? if you want to meet up you can just show up. follow the theme if you want, don't if you don't want to. not like there is a tpmg police going around kicking your ass if you don't follow the theme... or is there ?

Obviously, you don't understand the point.

I would LOVE to follow the theme, but the "theme" is very unclear. Can you define 50mm to me? Is 50mm same as the 50mm on XTi, 5D, or 1D? Should a person that's using 50mm EFFECTIVE FL be excluded in this because they are not using a 50mm FL LENS?

Don't try to be a smartass, because clearly your cat example is not. I am not trying to be mean, but why am I getting blamed for unclear rules? Another member in this thread mccraig is getting excluded because of the same reason. How many more members are getting excluded when they just want to join the fun without breaking the "rules"?

You are absolutely right about "there's no TPMG cops". That doesn't give me a reason to attend a meet and BREAK THE RULES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:11 pm 

thericyip wrote:
sabesh wrote:

+1!

I've stated that this is a 50mm prime lens photowalk and I've already included MF lenses from 50-59mm. First post states: any type of body with a 50mm prime lens or manual focus prime of 50-59mm. I say any type of body because there are members with FF, 1.3x, 1.5x, 1.6x, 2.0x and that's the usual question that comes up.

I wanted to stick with the event's parameters because I stuck with it at my telephoto prime photoshoot. I didn't want to make it unfair or that I'm giving some the go-ahead to break the parameters and not others.

As said before, I'm only giving the parameters of the event. It is the main reason why we're shooting together, using 50mm primes. If you wish to bring a 35mm prime lens to get a 50mm-ish FOV (or any other lens or body for that matter), go ahead. I'm not going to check everyone's lenses when we start and obviously making sure no one switches lenses during the event.

Now.. I'm going to organize my schedule for the next few weeks. I plan to make a Canon photowalk with L glass only... XD That's going to start some "conversations"... hahaha

Thanks for clarification. I've been with TPMG for almost 2 years, but I rarely post here or attend events. I just don't want to be the one that break the rules, that's why I needed to make sure. I'll try my best to make it, 50mm FL should be very fun!

Eric, I apologize again if i sounded harsh, but that wasn't the intention as you can see.

I am pretty sure I won't be the person that complains about the "L" glass, for obvious reasons :)

madelica, not even going to argue. Bottom line is, yes I can participate with whatever I have, but when there's a theme, I am not going to be the one that show up and totally ignore it. That's just plain rude. I rather clarify when I have the chance to before the event. Hope you choose to understand this simple courtesy thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26 pm 

i agree with you cy, i just made my point since i thought arguing with semantics on the forum to be rude. in the end we're all courteous people but we just process things differently

so now we all do that hug sabesh talked about, yay~

if there is no group hug picture from this meet up i will be VERY ANGRY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:52 pm 

who's bringing the tripod for the hug shot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:09 pm 

i'll keep one in the car ^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 pm 

madelica wrote:
i agree with you cy, i just made my point since i thought arguing with semantics on the forum to be rude. in the end we're all courteous people but we just process things differently

so now we all do that hug sabesh talked about, yay~

if there is no group hug picture from this meet up i will be VERY ANGRY!

Me and you need a hug, we should get along ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:24 pm 

haha, sounds good~

Post subject: wanting to go.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:35 pm 

This sound slike a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to learn from you guys.

I'll see if I can pick up a affordable 50mm this week.

:sg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:49 pm 

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanp77/
I had to cancel on this Eric. I can't make your Sunday scheduled photowalks due to my softball league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:01 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

jonathanp77 wrote:
I had to cancel on this Eric. I can't make your Sunday scheduled photowalks due to my softball league.

boo... we haven't shot together in quite a long time! next time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:38 pm 

I may come out to my first TPMG event :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:36 am 

Hey Eric,
which way you will be heading?
I have an eBay item closing at exactly 6pm and often I need to bang my head against the wall for 5 minutes after an auction ends, so most likely I will be late.
Can I meet you up midway?
BTW, I heard there is free internet around Dundas Sq.. True? guaranteed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:52 am 

axiom wrote:
<snip>
I have an eBay item closing at exactly 6pm and often I need to bang my head against the wall for 5 minutes after an auction ends <snip>

LOL! And I thought I was the only one who does that :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:32 pm 
TPMG ARISTOCRAT

sabesh wrote:
axiom wrote:
<snip>
I have an eBay item closing at exactly 6pm and often I need to bang my head against the wall for 5 minutes after an auction ends <snip>

That makes three of us

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:49 pm 

Ok, guys
I hope that you do NOT mean that you are eyeing on something ending at exactly 6pm tomorrow.... or else............ I would imagine I need to plan some assassinations to protect my 6pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:16 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

axiom wrote:
Hey Eric,
which way you will be heading?
I have an eBay item closing at exactly 6pm and often I need to bang my head against the wall for 5 minutes after an auction ends, so most likely I will be late.
Can I meet you up midway?
BTW, I heard there is free internet around Dundas Sq.. True? guaranteed?

I've tried the connection there before and it's not great. Will probably lag.. something you dont' want for your ebay item.

I'm not really sure which way I'll go though... you still have my number? Just give me a call and you can join me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:24 pm 

PotatoEYE wrote:
sabesh wrote:
axiom wrote:
<snip>

That makes three of us

Instead of having to be tied to your computer at 6:00pm, why not just use a free auction "snipe" program? Like this one: http://www.justsnipe.com/

It will place your bid mere seconds before the auction ends (I never understood why people bid hours or days in advance). Works great and no more being tied down to your computer. Just place your max. bid (you do have one don't you??) and the program will bid just enough to win.

Of course if someone else is willing to blow their financial brains out (which happens often) on an item, nothing help you with that. Winning an auction is one thing, but paying more for an item than you could get new at your local store is another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:48 am 

haha becareful, Eric might cut you with his 50s lol :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:09 am 

What if it's pouring outside by 6pm?
Do we shoot under rain coats?
My 50 definitely isn't weather sealed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:55 am 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Thunderstorms right now in North York. I am now going to put up another column. This event will go on today if there's a good amount of people who still wants to shoot. Change over to the second column if you want to shoot on another day. I'm not sure if the clouds will clear up by 6pm or not. I doubt it though.. it's pretty crazy right now. But.. I'm gonna leave it up to you guys. I can put a plastic bag over my camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:58 am 
I'm on TPMG way too much

It's thunderstorming downtown right now as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm 
TPMG SUPERSTAR

Please put up replies or update your choice. I would like to avoid having nobody say anything right now, then I show up but nobody else does. lol

The changes will end at 5pm. I will have to leave for downtown by then. It MIGHT actually clear up in time.

Last edited by thericyip on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 pm 

Hey Taylor
Your 35 Summilux pre asph is German made or Canadian made?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:13 pm 

Weather Network has conflicting information even on their own website. They report something called a "light thunderstorm". Does that mean if you get hit by lightning it won't kill you as much as a regular thunderstorm? Then they go on to say "40-60% chance of thundershowers with 2-4mm of rain". 2-4mm of rain is easily bearable but calling it a thundershower, really? My dog drools more than that.

Anyhoot, even though I have mentally prepared to go to this all week, I can spend the afternoon fixing my website. I'm already behind by several shoots as well. I will attend a rain date if it fits my schedule.

Eric - Thanks for organizing this event. I hope that people are as obsessed with forum traffic as we are and check it every 5 minutes (I get notified on my blackberry) so they know it might be cancelled.

Tyron